Broody Hen Wanted

Oh, yes I have heard that Silkies make GREAT mothers, as well as Buff Orpintons. Although...sadly I hear Welsummers are terrible mothers...lol
smile.png

Hi, Chickenwhispere, your kids (and you) are in for an amazing time raising those chickies! Let me tell you, for future reference, in my limited experience the chickens don't seem to read the rule books as far as broodiness. I have a 2 year old Buff Orpington that has never shown signs of broodiness, while I've had two bantam Sebrights who go broody time after time, after laying for only a few weeks. Sebrights, unlike a lot of other bantams, are reputed to *not* go broody in general. Well, I have taken my breed book out to the coop repeatedly and pointed to the Sebright page: "Hens are not broody." And Edna and Lucinda just give me the stink eye and keep trying to hatch the wooden eggs in the nest boxes. I am currently planning to purchase a few hatching eggs (we don't have a rooster...) and let Edna give actual motherhood a try this time, instead of sending her to the anti-broody coop again!

Anyway, just sayin'... There's definitely a chance that one or more of your Welsummers will be poor readers, just like Edna and Lucinda, and will want to be mamas! (And a valuable lesson for all of us, homeschoolers or no--you can learn a lot from reference materials but always trust personal experience too!) Good luck!
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom