Broody Hen Wanted

Chickenwhispere

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Hi there!
frow.gif
I Just ordered a 12 chicks (Welsummers) from Pap's Poultry in WesternPort, Maryland. I Homeschool my kids and I thought it would be neat to perhaps adopt a broody hen and have her raise our chicks. Forgive me if this is unusual, I am new to raising chickens and I don't know all the "rules" to raising chicks or even if this idea would work...
idunno.gif

Is this something people do often? Or is it just my crazy mind that has thought of this..?? I would LOVE
love.gif
if someone would give me their broody hen (as crazy as that sounds) I would pay as much as you want (within reason). I am located in Montgomery County, MD so I would prefer this hen to live nearby...because I don't know if it would be a good idea to mail a broody hen.
hmm.png
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! After sitting for hours in front of my computer on this website
caf.gif
reading about chickens/raising chicks
D.gif
I am soooo EXCITED to get themm!!
ya.gif
THANKSS
smile.png

Last edited:
I have heard of people adding a chick or two to the group a broody is raising but with limited success. I think moving a broody hen from her nest will upset her enough to where she wont take the chicks but I am no expert this is just things I have read in the past. So getting someone elses broody probably wont work out. Good luck

Ok...thank you:) like I said I am new to raising chickens. You're prob. right about removing a broody hen from her nest, I don't really see how this Idea could work out...
hmm.png
Thanksss anyway!!
yippiechickie.gif

A Broody is a funny, moody, tempermental thing (think any hormonal female).
D.gif
Sometimes just moving a Broody from one nest to a safer one will set her off...so I think moving her to a completely different home where nothing is familiar would probably not work. But I like the idea... RENT-A BROODY!
tongue.png

Your kids and you will love hand raising your chicks and hand raised birds are friendlier when they grow up anyway. And one of these days you will probably have a Broody of your own and that is another different lesson for your kids!
thumbsup.gif

Good luck and have fun with your chicks!
frow.gif

Few years back I did borrow a friends broody hen and brought her to my place ... Not only did she sit, she hatched out about 20 silkie babies. So I guess it just depends on the hen.

Quote:
Huh!?! I guess nothing is impossible and nothing speaks the truth like a first hand experience!

If you do find a broody close and you try this, make sure to post and tell us YOUR experience!

Back
Top Bottom