Broody hen wants to give up...when do I take eggs away?

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I have a first time broody austrolorp hen that has been sitting on a dozen eggs for almost 2 weeks. For the last 2-3 days I have noticed her off her nest and wandering around more and more, but then she will go back on her nest. This morning I have seen her off her nest for going on 3 hours now.
Is this a sign that she is about to give up sitting on her nest? I know they get off and eat, drink & poo but it seems like she is spending more and longer time off the nest.
At what point should I take the eggs and put them in the incubator, which I just set up a couple hour ago? Tempature is moderate here 70 at night, low 90s at noon. I know they are good eggs as I candled a couple and were growing.

Peace,
Cory

Hens should get off the nest for about a half hour a day to eat, drink, poop. How old is she ? sometimes young hens/pullets dont do a great job sitting on eggs. Is she in a coop with a pen or is she free range ???

She just made a year old and this is her first time sitting. She is in a private coop with her own food and water and not bothered by the rest of the flock.
She went back on the nest today after being off from 7am-1030am.

Cory

I'm guessing alot of it has to do with her being young and this being her first time, ohhh I should of asked before what breed is she ? some breeds are just better sitters than others ??? I would candle the eggs and see how they are doing after she was off for that amount of time !!!! I think its your call about taking the eggs from her, what you might try first is to let her out in the morning for about a 1/2 hour and the put her back on the nest and somehow keep her closed in there (with food and water) its alot easyer when the hen does the work !!!!! if that doesnt work and she keeps getting off for that amount of time I would put em in the bator and then try giving them back to her when they hatch and dry off (give her fake eggs or golf balls till then)

Back
Top Bottom