Broody hen weight loss and weird poo.

StripeyThing_1

Chirping
Dec 15, 2022
Hi all,

My broody hen was laying on eggs for the past 24 days, however they all hatched on day 21. I took her chicks away as soon as they hatched.
She has been laying on nothing for the past 3 days, but she is still broody.

Around day 12 she started severe weight loss that would only get worse. She used to weigh 5.2 pounds and now she weighs 2.6 pounds. I can feel her keel very easily and her butt is very skinny. She had been eating or drinking rarely since the very beginning, I had to force feed her a little bit every day.

Her poop is also very strange. It’s very liquid like and projectile. It also has some indigested food chunks and stinks so bad. She only had this poop 5 times, once every 3 days after day 11.

Any help or advice is appreciated, sorry for all the weird descriptive words.

3727BEE2-7292-4092-A5AA-CBE2BEE924BF.jpeg

1B3EBC0F-6570-4D06-85BE-40218DC4962D.jpeg

C5ECB098-9B34-424D-ABD7-9162968C1C85.jpeg

I'm not sure why you removed the chicks but it would have broken her broodiness to have left them with her.
She needs to be kept out of the nest and broken. I've used a wire dog crate with no nesting material in it in the past and have broken several birdies successfully.
I can't really speak to the weird poop except that it would likely have to do with her eating so little. I'm sure the experts will weigh-in here shortly.

She has been known to be mean to the chicks. She would have killed them if I didn’t take them. I will try putting her in a dog crate.

Mean as in “ I am going to eat you” she has done that before, kill her chicks I mean, she doesn’t actually eat them.

Back
Top Bottom