Broody hen. What can I do?

She's going to be upset (IMO), but theres no sense of putting her body through the tough broody process if you're going to trash the eggs anyway - plus, the longer you wait, you will be killing fetuses that look like baby chicks rather than small clusters of cells.
Ok, but I’d like to know the best way of doing and causing her the least amount of stress. Should I simply remove her eggs, or is there a better way of breaking the broody.

I think it really just depends on what you & the hen want to accomplish. You can go with either way...let her do her broody thing & maybe seperate her so she can raise her chicks or you can take the eggs and start collecting her eggs more often to break her out of broodiness
I will start collecting the eggs more often, but I have a set plan to hatch some in spring so I’ll have plenty of time to socialize them and keep watch. Thank you😁

She will more than likely still be kinda broody moody for a day or two but she'll go broody again in the spring/summer when timing & weather are right :thumbsup

If you're girl won't break, as some silkies are known to be stubbornly broody, you may want to put her in an elevated wire crate or cage so she can't comfortably brood. The air circulating around her will help bring down some of her hormone levels, which might bring her out of her broodiness.
That's not a very nice thing to do, no offense.

She will more than likely still be kinda broody moody for a day or two but she'll go broody again in the spring/summer when timing & weather are right :thumbsup
I gathered the eggs then held her and waited until her legs weren’t so stiff from sitting. She shook out her feathers, took a broody poo, and went on. She’s a very sweet girl (which is part of why I felt bad for her) so she isn’t very moody. She’s now grazing with her flock. Thanks you.

I don't like keeping my broody hens from it either but sometimes it is necessary we intervene when we know timing isn't quite right, regardless of age & other natural factors.

Back
Top Bottom