Broody Hen with Chicks Out for a Stroll , then...SNAKE!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Banty Cochin Shadow was out with her three one-week-old chicks, scratching around Suede's pen. I did some chores, then noticed she had taken them around to the Delawares side of the breeding coop and knowing there was a chick-sized gap under their gate, thought I should herd her and the babies all the way around and back to the main yard. We are walking slowly around, my DH comes up and I tell him they were close to getting into the Del pen, and I look just past him and see a four foot rat snake! It's just quietly sitting, maybe waiting for those tasty morsels to get close enough. DH grabs it by the tail and says, "Where do you want it?". I tell him to throw it across the powerline easement road on the other side of the property. I am so glad I saw that! I'd have hated to see it a few minutes later with a chick in its mouth! Wonder what Shadow would have done if she'd seen it.

oo that was close! im not sure i would have relocated it though, he will more than likely be back.. hopefully your shadow is on top of her game lol.. ya never mess with a momma hen .. lol

Glad you saw it!!! Dunno about Shadow but those delawares of yours would have eaten it for dinner. Man these are some tough birds. I've seen them get some pretty large snakes already. Good birds. No more egg eaters here.

I would have hated if Shadow lost her brood or was hurt, she's so pretty.

WOW! Glad to hear of a happy ending! From now on we call you by Indian name- Princess with Eagle Eye
big_smile.png

That snake was no more than five feet from her and the babies. Gosh, DH was practically standing on it, LOL. We have lots of rat snakes around here, but rarely have broodies with babies that young running all over. That was WAY too close! Her little broody pen is snake-proof, covered in hardware wire with the top and the door locked down, so she'd have been safe in there.

Shadow is a fierce mama hen. It would have been interesting to see what she did if she had spotted it before I did.

Back
Top Bottom