Broody hen won't come off nest!

Have just been up and taken her off the nest to check everything out. We put her in a box with straw, water and some food - thought I would try and temp her with some left over pasta from the kids tea. Worked a treat, she actually eat some and had a good drink. Feel very relieved with that. Still cannot see any enormous poops though. Perhaps the pasta will prompt one!
smile.png

No, that's a good thing! If there's no ginormous poops in the nest, it means she is getting off the nest for a break everyday, you just didn't catch her at it. Just have food and water somewhere near the nest, but far enough away she has to leave the nest to get it. Sounds like she's doing fine!

My advice after 2 sets of chicks hatched by my broody hen.

As long as she's in a comfortable place with access to food and water, just leave her be. She knows what she is doing.

We took her off and put her in the box again this evening and she ate and drank like a horse, followed by the most enormous poop I have ever seen!!!

She is now looking very happy once again on her nest.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Lost one of the eggs today. I think the smell must have been a bad egg as I found a broken one today and it was a bit smelly!

Anyway have cleared out the mess, and she has ate and drank this evening and is now back on the nest looking good.

We are now on day 10 and have 8 remaining eggs.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Sounds like she's got the hang of it. You can relax now, just check under her once daily, (or peek while she's on her break, even better) just to make sure there's no broken eggs, and to clean up if there is.

Other than that, sounds like she's got it covered. Oh, I stop looking under them on day 20, leave them be from then until they get off the nest with the chicks. That way I don't disturb eggs in the middle of hatching, or upset mom and get anybody squashed by accident.

Thankyou everybody, especially DancingBear for all the help and advice during this hatch.

Hopefully I will be able to keep you all updated with the hatching eggs.
cool.png

Hi all, we now have 3 adorable little fluffy chicks.
big_smile.png

Was just wondering though, when should I start giving the mother hen layers pellets again? When does she resume her egg laying?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom