Broody hen won't come off nest!

She won't start laying again until she's done raising chicks. The time frame varies from one hen to another. Some don't want to ever stop mothering, others figure once the chicks have feathers, they're done. You'll know she's done when she starts roosting again. Then she'll be about ready to resume laying. Meanwhile, she can eat chick starter along with the babies, it won't hurt a thing. She could eat layer pellets now, but it's hard to feed mom one thing, and the chicks something else.

Thanks very much dancingbear.

Very useful info as always.
cool.png

Quote:
I wonder, I have a turkey setting on rotten eggs. I think she is seriously on day 37 and hasnt given up. I wonder if I put some turkey chicks under her if she will raise them....any thoughts? Headed to the turkey page.

Quote:
I wonder, I have a turkey setting on rotten eggs. I think she is seriously on day 37 and hasnt given up. I wonder if I put some turkey chicks under her if she will raise them....any thoughts? Headed to the turkey page.

I'd sure try it, and get those rotten eggs outta there before they start exploding. Slip them under her at night, from behind, and take out the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom