Broody hen won't take chicks - please help!!

At this point, I think I would re-home the chicks and break the broody.

Look for started pullets or hens to add to your flock, this way you can forgo having to brood anything.

Even if you did quickly find some fertile eggs, there's no guarantee she's going to be a good mother. Some broodies aren't, so you always need a backup plan - a place to brood chicks and supplies.

My 2¢

edited to add a word I left out :D

Last edited:
Giving her fertilized eggs would still result in her (probably) hatching some roosters, right?
Correct, but you could still end up with boys even if you get sexed chicks as sexing isn't an exact science (unless you're getting sex-linked birds).

It doesn't sound like you really want to raise chicks at this time so I wouldn't attempt to hatch, and would break the broody instead.

We tried again last night - I think it worked! We shoved the chicks under her and grabbed the eggs. She pecked for a while and then went to sleep. We woke up this morning and one of the chicks was out from under her. She was purring/growling at it a little, but seemed to be trying to take care of it. We still haven't seen the other one, but hopefully it's doing just as well.

We tried again last night - I think it worked! We shoved the chicks under her and grabbed the eggs. She pecked for a while and then went to sleep. We woke up this morning and one of the chicks was out from under her. She was purring/growling at it a little, but seemed to be trying to take care of it. We still haven't seen the other one, but hopefully it's doing just as well.
Update: went to check and the other one was out as well! They were eating/drinking, and she was watching them and clucking softly.

10 weeks later and both chicks are still alive! Their mom abandoned them at about 5 weeks but they did great on their own. They are absolute best friends to the point where we get concerned when we see one without the other.
We named them Sage (light brahma) and Bella (RIR).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6 MB · Views: 1
  • chickens.png
    chickens.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom