Broody hen won't take chicks - please help!!

Constant peeping is usually a temperature issue. Have you looked into the mama heating pad method yet? Do you have a thermometer?If its just a peep or two you should be okay turn off the light and leave them.
We currently have them in a small room with a heater that detects the temperature and adjusts accordingly. We haven’t been able to find a thermometer. It is constant peeping but it comes in bursts about every thirty seconds.

Did you move them to a larger box? The problem with space heaters is that they cant escape the heat if they're too warm and there's no option for them to move to where its warmer if they're too cold. What temperature is it set at? They may be just stressed if you have it warm enough, but from my experience, if they won't shush up in a mostly darkened room then there's something off with temperature.

Did you move them to a larger box? The problem with space heaters is that they cant escape the heat if they're too warm and there's no option for them to move to where its warmer if they're too cold. What temperature is it set at? They may be just stressed if you have it warm enough, but from my experience, if they won't shush up in a mostly darkened room then there's something off with temperature.
They are in a bin (probably 10x20 inches) and the temp is set to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

I can't think of anything else you can do for them if you don't have a heating pad or a lamp available, or a thermometer to judge the temp inside the bin.
Theres this chick warmer that you can make from a box and an old fleece blanket or sweater that might help keep them cozy and calm:
Wool hen
And here's a link to the heating pad method:
Mama heating pad
And some light reading:
Brooding chicks

I hope your new babies do well for you! Unfortunately it's a little past my bed time, so I'm going to have to bow out here, but best of luck!

I'm glad your little ones did okay!
If you check craigslist/kijiji for your area, you should be able to find hatching eggs easily.

And I got it in my head they were day olds, after bringing up adding new chicks and completely forgot you were dealing with chicks older than a week! That would explain the temperature issue! :oops: Glad you caught it, @rosemarythyme ! In my defense it was 2am 😅

I'm glad your little ones did okay!
If you check craigslist/kijiji for your area, you should be able to find hatching eggs easily.

And I got it in my head they were day olds, after bringing up adding new chicks and completely forgot you were dealing with chicks older than a week! That would explain the temperature issue! :oops: Glad you caught it, @rosemarythyme ! In my defense it was 2am 😅
Giving her fertilized eggs would still result in her (probably) hatching some roosters, right?

Back
Top Bottom