Broody behavior in older Isa Brown?

mac853

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hi everyone,

This isn't really an emergency but I didn't know where else to ask this. We have a going-on-4 year old Isa Brown (we did not realize how many reproductive issues the Isas had when we originally bought them, but I guess they tend to have a lower life span). She is really slowing down the last few months, not as active, has lost some weight, comb has shrunk and is much paler. The last couple days she hasn't left the coop much, mostly because I think this one Australorp bullies her, which i've tried to curb but I can't always be there. Today and yesterday she spent practically the entire day in the nesting boxes. But she hasn't laid in months and she also really isn't in the "laying" position if you know what I mean. She's more like squatting in the box. Is she broody and just missing being able to lay? What is going on with her?

Is her belly swollen? Diet?
No not swollen (at least as of late/rn, don't want to jinx it), diet is calcium Purina crumbles with grit in them, scratch, bugs once a day for everyone and occasional scrambled eggs and spinach when it's on sale at the store

She sounds like she is egg bound. Can you take a look at her vent? Does it look like she's trying to pass something? If she is egg bound, soaking her in a tub would help her pass her egg, a calcium carbonate tablet would also be beneficial

She sounds like she is egg bound. Can you take a look at her vent? Does it look like she's trying to pass something? If she is egg bound, soaking her in a tub would help her pass her egg, a calcium carbonate tablet would also be beneficial
Her vent has been dirty for awhile but it's been cold so we haven't cleaned it up. We can try a CaCO3 tablet. How could she be egg bound if she hasn't laid since like last spring? Can they have a tablet even if she isn't egg bound?

Her vent has been dirty for awhile but it's been cold so we haven't cleaned it up. We can try a CaCO3 tablet. How could she be egg bound if she hasn't laid since like last spring? Can they have a tablet even if she isn't egg bound?

That is a valid point. My guess is she's, for some reason, coming into lay again. It could also be the normal reproductive issues catching up with her. A lot of the ISA brown I have had over the years would exhibit this

What you described is a hen that doesn't feel well. Sick hens will isolate and hide. Nest boxes make great hiding places. It might be connected to a reproductive issue, but not necessarily.
I agree, thats probably it.

Well she has been slowing down for a long time and we've been preparing ourselves for awhile but she is a tough chickie. I hope she'll be okay but we've been blessed to have her for 3.5 years. One other from her batch passed from egg yolk peritonitis in 2022 so i know they don't live too long

Back
Top Bottom