Broody hen

I have another coop that is the first one that they were in, still in their pen. I could use that and close her up and away from the other hens. I live in the city and we can only have 4 chickens and I can't have a rooster. My chickens have been sleeping on the ground sense we have had them. They like to huddle at the gate to their pen and sleep, even tho I had a 3X5X6 foot coop built for them. They have a 18' by 22' area to run in. I have just sand in my yard where they are. I do put goodies out for them each day. They love strawberry tops.

Would u use this other coop for her to have chicks? If u need to break her of being broody this would not work. The reason for the cage is to have cool air on her underside. Make sure the cage is elevated a little. Leave her in it with food and water only for 3 days. I do this often and it works very well. I wouldn't separate her from the others

Thank you tinakevin, I don't have a bottom on the coop but it is in with the run or pen. I put her in the old one and she was fine for a while and then got very upset so I let her out. I closed the door to the coop as all my hens had laid their eggs and she kept trying to get in but for most part she would just eat and drink and show that she was not a happy hen. I let her back in the coop and she went right back in the nest and I am keeping an eye on her to make sure she gets out of the nest and I close it back up until nightfall. My chickens like to sleep on the ground for some reason. I guess I have to get a crate for dogs and put her in it. Do I just keep the crate out but where the other ladies can see her?

Sorry computer went in for repairs,
We tried the mesh and removing the broody but notning worked so we now have 4 fertile eggs under mamma,
I've ordered a seperste coop and run for them so they can be in the chicken area but be safe too.
I know not to move her until eggs are hatched but once there hatched does she stay with the babies ?
And with the food do I put out adult food as well as chick crumb or is she ok to eat the crumb too ??

Back
Top Bottom