Broody hen

BantammChick

I love my sebright!!
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
One of my barred rocks is broody,she has sit there on the nest for a week or 2 now.I think it will be cool to see a hen raise a few chicks! I can't wait until she hatches chicks!Here is a picture of her,But this picture is from a few months ago,she isn't broody in this pic. Her name is Bambi.
SAM_2430.JPG

One of my barred rocks is broody,she has sit there on the nest for a week or 2 now.I think it will be cool to see a hen raise a few chicks! I can't wait until she hatches chicks!Here is a picture of her,But this picture is from a few months ago,she isn't broody in this pic. Her name is Bambi.View attachment 1038386
Great. Just make sure all the eggs under her were Set at the same time(so you do not create a staggered hatch) and marked if she is with other hens and remove unmarked Eggs EVERY day. Good Luck

DSCN2463.jpg
How did your broody hen do? We just had our first hatch from a broody hen too! She set on 11 eggs. She pushed one out of the nest on about day 3. She continued on 10. 7 hatched. 6 have survived and she is very good. They are now 5 days old and she is already trying to build up another clutch of eggs. We don't really want that right now because she is keeping the other chickens out of the laying boxes. She won't let anyone in the roost/coop. I think we need a specific box for our little broody girl. We call her 'The Pillar" after a character in a series by Jane Myers Perinne.

Last edited:
If she has "gathered" 5 more eggs----she is letting some hen/s in the laying box . If the eggs are fertile you need to be removing them daily----as I stated above if you are going to set her you need to Set ALL the eggs, marked, under at the same time and remove any fresh layed, unmarked eggs daily so you do not create a staggered hatch. Good Luck
She hasn't gathered more eggs. Thanks. We remove them daily. The day I posted, was the first day we saw a fresh egg in her nest again. We will wait a few weeks to let her set again. We need to make her a dedicated house.

Back
Top Bottom