Broody Hen?

That was my bantam Polish, Amber. She died around 18 weeks old when they were spooked in the run. She was under the coop and flew up hitting her head on it. I don't think she could see it through her feathers, or just the frenzy of being scared. I had clipped them so she could see straight and to the sides. It was very sad, she was so friendly and sweet.
Oh, that is so sad. It's strange how some can survive vicious attacks and others die so easily.

After I took Jade out of the nest box earlier, she stayed outside until dusk. I just looked at the camera I have in the coop and she wasn't on the roost. Sure enough, she was in the nest box. I have moved her to the roost. Time to get a crate

@ Su, I used to have 5 Hens but one got injured and died. I was getting only 3 eggs at first as 2 of the hens were not yet ready to lay, as 1 died the other still wasn't ready so only 3 eggs.
Then the 4th one laid and it was a big egg, I was pleased, I don't know what happened but the others seem to want to keep up and they too lay big eggs lol.
I forgot to mention, I had 1 that laid soft shell eggs, a lot of times she broke them coming out of the nest, it was driving me nuts, eventually she did start to get better and now she lays them OK but the odd one is still a bit brittle.

@No More Empty Nest,
Yes you have a broody alright, when you placed he back on the nest you should have took her off and locked the coop up or blocked the nest.
Anyway I think you know now and when the dog crate comes out don't put a nest box in there, I just put food and water and I placed a piece of wood for a roost.

@Su,
You mentioned earlier about having to pickle eggs because they are mounting up.
Some people actually freeze them but I watched on YouTube and the whisking them up then freezing seems to be the best, I didn't like the look of the others.

Then I found this video, I fancy trying it myself:

@Su,
You mentioned earlier about having to pickle eggs because they are mounting up.
Some people actually freeze them but I watched on YouTube and the whisking them up then freezing seems to be the best, I didn't like the look of the others.

Then I found this video, I fancy trying it myself:
I might have to try that myself also. Minus the 50lb bag of lime. I'm sure I'll pay more per ounce, but 50 lbs of most anything is too much for me. Think I'll look up the video that aart mention too. The freezing doesn't sound like a bad idea, but freezer space is a bit too limited for that to work for me. I only thought about pickling b/c my brothers like pickled eggs. I've never tried them.

Yes here in the UK, I can get a small bag of that Hydrated Lime, but she didn't freeze it remember, she put in a normal room or a cold room.

I also looked at making Egg Mayonnaise, I like that and never thought of it before.

Back
Top Bottom