Broody Hen

I have found it just does not work - tried several times.
I have not given up tho. I have a spare hutch so that I can move the other quail out if need be :)
We are too lazy to put them in a space hutch :p Just curious whether people have successfully hatched them by leaving the eggs in where they are :)

I had a broody hen last spring. She sat on 12 eggs and hatched out 10. I originally had her in a trio, but when she went broody, she attacked her friends. I separated them and she raised the chicks alone. When they grew up, I tried to put her back, but she didn't want anything to do with her mate. She was only happy if she was with her children, so I left her with her daughters. I put another male with them, but after a while, they attacked him. She seemed to teach them to hate males! They're with a tougher male now though.

Here she is when her chicks hatched.
IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

Quails don’t usually sit on the eggs. Usually you have to incubate them or get a broody chicken. I have a set up right now and the quail eggs are in a box and for some reason the male goes up to the eggs and pecks them and walks all over them.
Quails DO sit on their eggs.....some people have had quite alot of success with this.

Quails DO sit on their eggs.....some people have had quite alot of success with this.

:goodpost: Yes! I bought some quails from a breeder who encouraged broodiness in her quails. She had bred them like that for about five years, so she was able to bring back broodiness in them. I bought king quails from another breeder who's quails (kings and japanese) raised their own chicks too. All of my breeder king quail females have been broody (some many times).

Personally, I think it is very important to encourage broodiness in quails. If something was to happen and they became endangered, we would want to have some to release. Also, it's more natural. I do have an incubator. It's main purpose is in case someone rejects their partially developed eggs, I can finish them in the incubator. I have used it for japanese quail eggs once, bobwhite eggs twice and california quail eggs twice (with little success). I'm not against incubators, I just prefer parent raising.

I know some people farm their quails (I don't. Mine are pets), so using an incubator is way more practical. But those of us who have broody quails from time to time, perhaps let them go broody.

I had a broody hen last spring. She sat on 12 eggs and hatched out 10. I originally had her in a trio, but when she went broody, she attacked her friends. I separated them and she raised the chicks alone. When they grew up, I tried to put her back, but she didn't want anything to do with her mate. She was only happy if she was with her children, so I left her with her daughters. I put another male with them, but after a while, they attacked him. She seemed to teach them to hate males! They're with a tougher male now though.

Here she is when her chicks hatched.
View attachment 2186340
View attachment 2186341

That’s neat! Thanks for sharing! Ours is still sitting but I’ve been taking the eggs away. We have babies in the grow out hutch and spare hutch atm but once they’re done I’ll move this hen over with a few eggs and see what happens. Can’t wait!

Attachments

• 7E70685A-1B4E-447E-A0B7-6E4E20F65D00.jpeg
    7E70685A-1B4E-447E-A0B7-6E4E20F65D00.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 7
Did you know that it’s 99% certain that you’re broody hen will have chicks?!
Cool, no didn't know that because the eggs eventually all get broken. And too lazy to house her by herself right now...too many animals to take care of :p might try it in the fall when thigns slow down!

Back
Top Bottom