Broody hen

itsafowlthing

Chirping
Aug 26, 2015
Post Oak, Tx
My polish hen only 7 months old has gone broody. Do they go broody that young?
Also when one goes broody do the other hens stop laying or lay somewhere else around the yard (1 1/2 acre yard)?
Thanks for all y'all's worldly knowledge!!

Yes, it's possible, but not common. No, it doesn't make the others quit laying. It is the individual hormones that determine broodiness.

If you have a young hen that has gone broody, the best thing would be to break her in a broody cage. It would be extremely hard on her health, being young and not fully grown yet, to go on a three to four week broody fast.

There could be other reasons for her behavior. Can you tell us what she's doing to make you think she may be broody? How long has she been laying? When was the last time she produced an egg to your knowledge? Were the eggs of good quality? Any shell issues?

Yes, it's possible, but not common. No, it doesn't make the others quit laying. It is the individual hormones that determine broodiness.

If you have a young hen that has gone broody, the best thing would be to break her in a broody cage. It would be extremely hard on her health, being young and not fully grown yet, to go on a three to four week broody fast.

There could be other reasons for her behavior. Can you tell us what she's doing to make you think she may be broody? How long has she been laying? When was the last time she produced an egg to your knowledge? Were the eggs of good quality? Any shell issues?
Well she's sitting in nesting box 24/7. Puffed up. And pulls all eggs she can find under her. Ive had broody hens but not this young. This is my first Polish Chick if that makes any difference.
Has laid any eggs either.

Hasn't laid her first pullet egg yet, but she is broody? That really is unusual. I would give her another day or two to see of this is just a little surge of hormones or serious broody hormones.

Look on her underside along the breast bone. If it's bald, she's definitely broody. I would break her if I was faced with this.

Going broody before laying is unusual.

My mom’s Sebright hen successfully raised chicks at that age, but she had already laid eggs of her own, and was full grown. If you are going to have warm-ish weather for the next few months and she seems to be full grown then it’s up to you whether you want some chicks or not. Of course you could always get some chicks and put them under her so she doesn’t have the strain of being broody for long.

In the case of that Sebright, she did go broody again the next summer so there will probably be a next time for this hen :)

Hasn't laid her first pullet egg yet, but she is broody? That really is unusual. I would give her another day or two to see of this is just a little surge of hormones or serious broody hormones.

Look on her underside along the breast bone. If it's bald, she's definitely broody. I would break her if I was faced with this.
I'll check her

Back
Top Bottom