Broody hen

snookums

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2013
I have a young broody hen who will not stay out of the nest box.... what can I do? I run her out sometimes 10 times a day. Help

Search broody breaker or broody jail.

Put her in a wire cage up off the ground 4-6” or more. Give her a 2x4 to get off the wire for comfort. Food and water inside with her. Ideally place cage in coop, but secure run will work. Leave her in there for 24 hours then allow her the opportunity to roost each evening (turn her loose and see if she roosts or dives for nest box). If she roosts, then she’s broken. If she dives for nest box, lock her back up, then try again tomorrow.

Put her in a wire cage up off the ground 4-6” or more. Give her a 2x4 to get off the wire for comfort. Food and water inside with her. Ideally place cage in coop, but secure run will work. Leave her in there for 24 hours then allow her the opportunity to roost each evening (turn her loose and see if she roosts or dives for nest box). If she roosts, then she’s broken. If she dives for nest box, lock her back up, then try again tomorrow.
Good description^^^
Here's a pic:
1607087337611.png

Back
Top Bottom