Broody Hen

Is your broody separated from the other hens yet? If so, then it is likely she accidently broke an egg, then tried to clean it up. Not knowing how to move on and off the eggs without breaking them sometimes IS an issue with first-time broodys.

When egg breakage happened with my broodys, ive found it best to remove all the eggs that got soiled with egg material. Especially if breakage happens early in the incubation process. Bacteria will often get inside the soiled eggs and kill the developing chicks anyway. If more than 1-2 eggs are soiled, & If early in incubation, i sometimes remove ALL the eggs, and have that broody start again.

If you have a game camera, it wouldnt hurt to use it to see what is going on with your broody and the eggs she is setting on. I really dont think she intentionally ate the eggs, unless you know her to be an egg-eater in the regular nesting boxes.
Is your broody separated from the other hens yet? If so, then it is likely she accidently broke an egg, then tried to clean it up. Not knowing how to move on and off the eggs without breaking them sometimes IS an issue with first-time broodys.

When egg breakage happened with my broodys, ive found it best to remove all the eggs that got soiled with egg material. Especially if breakage happens early in the incubation process. Bacteria will often get inside the soiled eggs and kill the developing chicks anyway. If more than 1-2 eggs are soiled, & If early in incubation, i sometimes remove ALL the eggs, and have that broody start again.

If you have a game camera, it wouldnt hurt to use it to see what is going on with your broody and the eggs she is setting on. I really dont think she intentionally ate the eggs, unless you know her to be an egg-eater in the regular nesting boxes.
I haven’t separated her yet. My “separation pen” is currently being used by 2 hens who were over-mated. I might use a dog crate, but it might be too small? I’ll definitely give her some clean eggs

I haven’t separated her yet because my “separation pen” is currently being used by 2 over-mated hens. Do you think a dog crate will be big enough? I’ll definitely give her some clean eggs. She likely tried to clean up her mess. Thank you so much!

BD41273B-B6E9-4C54-AA73-5220496F0DEC.jpeg
This is the dog crate.

Good idea! It’s just so much work, I don’t know if I can handle it. The separation pen has plenty of space. Enough for 5 chickens, I think.
You can handle it.
But, yeah, some days chickeneering looks/feels like my avatar pic.

Wait until after dark to move the birds, it's easier to 'catch' them then. :D
....and they'll settle down better if it's dark.
Put a floor nest in with the broody with some fake eggs.

This is what I use:
full

You can handle it.
But, yeah, some days chickeneering looks/feels like my avatar pic.

Wait until after dark to move the birds, it's easier to 'catch' them then. :D
....and they'll settle down better if it's dark.
Put a floor nest in with the broody with some fake eggs.

This is what I use:
full
Did she actually hatch those?

Back
Top Bottom