Broody hen

Teal05

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
I have a broody hen that is sitting on 7 eggs (she started getting broody the other day) we have a rooster, so they are probably all fertile, however I also have 8 5week old chicks in a brooder box in the garage right now that we will be adding to the flock soon (we are getting a second coop next week to move them outside) My question is what should I do with my broody hen and her 7 eggs? Leave her in with the flock, move her and eggs to the second pen/coop (with the 5 week old chicks?), or build a third coop/pen just for her? This is my first time letting a hen hatch eggs.
She is an Australorp if that’s important

I would leave her with the flock. I have raised multiple broods without problems this way (though mine are not penned, so space is not an issue; others have had less success). I would definitely not put them with the other chicks - the broody might be quite vicious toward those juveniles, or they might be quite vicious to her chicks.

I would leave her with the flock. I have raised multiple broods without problems this way (though mine are not penned, so space is not an issue; others have had less success). I would definitely not put them with the other chicks - the broody might be quite vicious toward those juveniles, or they might be quite vicious to her chicks.
That’s what I was thinking too, just didn’t know the best route to take. Thank you for replying!

Do yourself a favor and mark the eggs. Something non toxic. I leave my broody hens in with the flock and sometimes they get kicked out of their nesting box so every night I make sure she’s on the right eggs and take any that were added.

Do yourself a favor and mark the eggs. Something non toxic. I leave my broody hens in with the flock and sometimes they get kicked out of their nesting box so every night I make sure she’s on the right eggs and take any that were added.
Yes I’ve already marked them with a pencil.

So I’ve candled all of the eggs, but I don’t think they are fertile, and our rooster just passed away the other day (heat exhaustion) should I find a new roo or not?

My broody is raising her chicks right alongside 8 week old chicks; however, they have a large run with trees and lots of clutter. She dutifully protects her chicks and the 8 week olds have learned to avoid her and the chicks - she puts the babies to bed early and in a crate in the pullet coop, so when the others come in to go to bed there are no issues. But again, this is because I have the space.

I personally moved both my broodies successfully. I wouldn't leave her in the coop because the other hens will lay eggs under her and there is a chance that your hen will stop being broody if other hens push her out of her nest. I would move her or separate a piece of the chicken coop near her nest so she can be socialized with the flock. It will be easier for her to integrate the new chicks into the flock. I certainly wouldn't put the chicks in with her. My broody hens freak out every time they see our 6-week old chicks free-ranging.

I personally moved both my broodies successfully. I wouldn't leave her in the coop because the other hens will lay eggs under her and there is a chance that your hen will stop being broody if other hens push her out of her nest. I would move her or separate a piece of the chicken coop near her nest so she can be socialized with the flock. It will be easier for her to integrate the new chicks into the flock. I certainly wouldn't put the chicks in with her. My broody hens freak out every time they see our 6-week old chicks free-ranging.
Sorry a little too late:D. Will maybe help somebody else. How did the hatch turn out?

Back
Top Bottom