Broody hen

Ok great. Thanks so much for your help. I’ve been letting the other two girls inside the coop during the day when they go near the door so they can nest. When I do this is when it upsets the broody one. Should I just keep all three out of the coop during the day? is it bad to keep the other two out during the day?
It sounds like you need to get a cage. The others shouldn’t be punished by not having nest access during the day.

The cage method works. Keep them in the cage during the day, blick the best at night and let her back out to roost with the flock, then repeat in the morning. I've had great success with this twice this spring.

Should I just keep all three out of the coop during the day? is it bad to keep the other two out during the day?

Keeping other hens from accessing nests because of 1 broody is more likely to cause the other hens to start laying elsewhere, thus increasing the amount of problems you're dealing with.

does she stay in there all day?
They'll break more easily/consistently if they're kept caged around the clock until signs of broodiness diminish. I only recommend removing them from the cage/crate at night if the cage is located somewhere that's not predator safe or safe from the elements (i.e. wind/rain, "cooler night temperatures" is not a reason to remove them from a cage).

Keeping other hens from accessing nests because of 1 broody is more likely to cause the other hens to start laying elsewhere, thus increasing the amount of problems you're dealing with.

They'll break more easily/consistently if they're kept caged around the clock until signs of broodiness diminish. I only recommend removing them from the cage/crate at night if the cage is located somewhere that's not predator safe or safe from the elements (i.e. wind/rain, "cooler night temperatures" is not a reason to remove them from a cage).
I’ve been opening the nest door for the other two during the day. They all slept in the coop but not inside where the nests are. I was going to do that again. Do you think that is ok?

I’ve been opening the nest door for the other two during the day. They all slept in the coop but not inside where the nests are. I was going to do that again. Do you think that is ok?
As long as the laying hens can get in whenever they need, that's no problem.

Keeping the broody out of the nest at night helps but it's still going to prolong her broodiness if she is still able to sit in nests during the day.

Back
Top Bottom