Broody hen

JGreenwell

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2024
I have two broody hens right now. They are sitting on eggs and one hatched but it got out at died :(. The nest they chose is high up and I'm worried about the same thing happening. I don't want this to happen to the others. Can I move the two hens and eggs? To another coop at night or will they lose interest and no longer sit on them ?

Our nest boxes are high too so when the chicks start hatching, I got a large cardboard box and set it on its side on the ground. I made a nest in there, put a waterer and feeder right outside, then put the chicks, then momma hen, then the rest of the eggs in there. She settled in and stayed.

Our nest boxes are high too so when the chicks start hatching, I got a large cardboard box and set it on its side on the ground. I made a nest in there, put a waterer and feeder right outside, then put the chicks, then momma hen, then the rest of the eggs in there. She settled in and stayed.
You do it in the same area?Just on the ground? Do you use gloves to move the chick and eggs? Thank you so much for replying.

You do it in the same area?Just on the ground? Do you use gloves to move the chick and eggs? Thank you so much for replying.
No need for gloves. If the chick died because it fell out and got cold, then I'd tack a piece of cardboard or something to the front of the nest to create a lip so they can't fall out, after everyone hatches you can move them if you like.

Back
Top Bottom