broody hen??

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
i have a broody silkie hen. she is 9 months old. i do not have a rooster so i was able to take home some fertile hatching eggs. i got 2 polish, a millie fleur, and 3 silkie eggs under her now. she gets off the nest early in the morning and eats/drinks then runs back to the nest and continues to sit. is that ok??

Also is that too many eggs under her? there not visible ever and she looks like she can handle them.

Also i was wondering, i'd love to see her raise the chicks herself but how do i feed the chicks the medicated feed if the mom isn't supposed to get it. i'd hate to have to seperate the mommy and the babies but if i have to, i have to. all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!

If you can't see the eggs when she's setting on them, then there's not too many for her to cover. She'll get off 1-2 times a day to eat, drink, drop an enormous turd, and get back to the nest.

When the chicks hatch they all, Mom & babies, can eat regular chick starter. Mom won't be laying & won't need the extra calcium in layer feed. The babies will pick up immunities from being around Mom & her poop, they won't need medicated feed. Isn't nature wonderful?

I wish your hen a successful hatch!

Is the medicated feed really bad for mom? I have been feeding my mom and babies medicated feed for 3 weeks.
sad.png

The medicated feed should be fine. Where we are- it's the only stuff available. You can order organic feed if it's not sold in your area, but I've personally never had any problems with it.

The medicated feed should be fine. Where we are- it's the only stuff available.

Its all I can get local, I've feed it to hens with chicks for the last 3 years with no problems. I also feed it to my hens while they are setting.
No worries your hen is doing her job.​

Quote:
I learned about the pooping thing with my bantam broody. She pooped all over my hand and the ramp into the run!
lau.gif
It took days for the smell to go away on my hand and it looked like an eagle had pooped in the run!

Good luck! Sunny Side Up covered it all, that's the only thing I had to add!
wink.png

thanks for all the feed back!!!

she is still sitting on the eggs ;-)

she is currently on, one e.e egg, a millie fleur, a polish, and 2 silkie eggs!!

i hope they hatch and i get a good turn out on girls cause i cant have boys.

when they hatch ill post pics with the mom!

Back
Top Bottom