Broody Hen

tienchinho

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Fresno
I have 4 free range 5 month old hens - EE, NHR, 2 Buff Orpingtons. The lead Buff was always hen #1 when I had a rooster and they were mating even though she wasn't even laying yet. Because the rooster was attacking my 4 yo, we sent him away on July 4th. Then the next day, my lead Buff started laying. She wasn't sitting so I took the eggs. Then about 4 days after that (July 9th) she would hide every morning and we couldn't find her but she would still roost at night in the coop and eat and drink in the afternoons. I guess I mistakenly thought she was too young to know how to brood. We came back from a 5 day trip and I don't think she is leaving her nest under the grape vines anymore. She has about 8 eggs there I think. She growls at me if I or the cat come near but looks fine under there. I haven't seen her eat or drink now but there is both close by.

I would be happy to have up to another 6 hens. I don't want to keep roosters but I could find homes for them elsewhere. I am concerned that these eggs are not fertile though and I don't want her to just sit and sit without any hatching. I did find a local hatchery that sells fertilized eggs for hatching but am not sure how many I should get. How do I get them under her without upsetting her? Is 12 eggs too many for one hen to sit on?

What are the chances those eggs are good? How long will she sit even if the eggs are not going to hatch? What if the eggs spoil? Any advice and insight into this is much appreciated!

Tienchin

26600_img_1610.jpg

Well, our buff orp Saffron has been sitting on 20 eggs for almost 5 weeks and amazingly, today a baby chick was born! Thanks for the advice on the eggs. I'm glad we just let her sit for as long as she felt was right.

Tienchin

Back
Top Bottom