Broody Hen

She puffs up her feathers and Stuff. I wanted the eggs under her so I poked her with a stick so she would move she just pecked the chicken.

If she's still sitting after everyone is cooped up at night, then she's definitely broody! When she does get off the nest for eating and drinking, she will be sort of puffed up and clucking some. She'll move around quickly and steer clear of the others more than usual.
Amy J.

Your Sure? Because i'm pretty sure that she stayed on the nest after dark.

Last edited:
That is what broody chickens do. It's funny because when they are still broody and with chickies, they will scracth for food in a zombie-like fashion.

Do you have a broody chicken? and if you do... what kind?

Yup! If she's still sitting after dark she's broody! Watch her when she comes out for eating and drinking, she'll be clucky and fluffy. Mark her eggs with a pencil so you can collect the other eggs if another hen lays in her nest. Give it a few days and then "candle" the eggs to see what's happening. I'm assuming you have a roo and want babies?
Amy J.

I have 2 broody hens, does anyone know how long it takes before they get back to business of laying eggs? Ones a silkie and the other a mix of sorts both bantams.

Back
Top Bottom