Broody hen

BowKs

Hatching
May 12, 2015
O
I want to hand raise some Mandarine ducks. I bought 7 eggs off EBAY and put them in an incubator. 2 of the 7 were alive and well at 27 days, but never hatched. I would like to try again. (I'm sure I did something wrong as it was my first try to incubate) I have a young Magpie duck hen and some young chicken hens. I"d like to have them sit the eggs for me next time. Mandarine eggs are pretty pricey. Just not sure how? Do I wait til they are already sitting and swap their eggs with the Mandarine??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I want to hand raise some Mandarine ducks. I bought 7 eggs off EBAY and put them in an incubator. 2 of the 7 were alive and well at 27 days, but never hatched. I would like to try again. (I'm sure I did something wrong as it was my first try to incubate) I have a young Magpie duck hen and some young chicken hens. I"d like to have them sit the eggs for me next time. Mandarine eggs are pretty pricey. Just not sure how? Do I wait til they are already sitting and swap their eggs with the Mandarine??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Does you Magpie duck go broody? Its rare for domestic ducks to go broody... but if she does that will be the best mother for the ducklings!

I use my broody chickens to hatch out my duck eggs. They do a great job. I leave the ducklings with the hen.. so she takes care of them... I hate raising duckling in a brooder as they are so dirty!!!!

You have to wait for one of your own birds to go broody... then you can buy the eggs and put them under her to incubate.

Once the ducklings hatch.. make sure they can't get swimming in water... as they will drown because they don't have the waterproofing oil on them (they get this from their mother duck). If you duck has raised then then they can go swimming with her straight away.

If you don't have a secure duckling escape proof run and coop for your ducklings you need to make one, or else put the ducklings in a brooder box... because Mandarin ducklings are really fast and good at climbing fences and squeezing out of holes... and, once out of a safe place, may get eaten by a predator.. or get lost.

Thank you so much for the great info. I was not aware that domestic ducks usually don't go broody. Magpie young and so are the chicks, but I have 12 hens, so as soon as one goes broody I will buy the eggs. I guess she will sit til they hatch even though duck eggs take longer. I guess she will just know to wait:) Mother nature is amazing! Thank you again. I"m learning.

Back
Top Bottom