Broody hens hatching 6/22, 6/26, 7/3, 7/6, 7/11 Any one due w/ us

Sorry about your luckless hatch, Sharon -- I'd be egg-shy too.
sickbyc.gif
Let us know what you see if you decide to candle them.
fl.gif
Hope the next hatch is luckier!

I looked in on the eggs and was going to candle them.
But I'm not going to all of them are weeping.

Hen #6 is at day 18 tomorrow I'm thinking about bring her in to the ac. I sure am hoping she gets 100% hatch on the marans eggs.

The weather is predicted to be upper 90's to 100 deg for the next week. I hope the girls that are setting in egg less nest will give it up. I'll have to keep a close eye on the 5 broodys with eggs.

Thanks chickpeaz

Out of 7 eggs I got these 2 cuties!
19545_picture_1036.jpg

I found out today what exploading eggs are all about.
sickbyc.gif

They actually poped like a small fire cracker!

Went out this evening and one hen had kicked out 2 scovy eggs
sad.png
I will see if she tucks them during the night.

I don't dare stick my hand in there to candle eggs, she'd skin me if she could, she's that mean when she's broody. Atleast none have exploded and only 4 days to go
woot.gif

Sorry to hear about your eggs okie. We went out and stuck two more fans in the barn trying to keep everyone cool.

I am really really glad to see a set of screamingly staggered hatches at the top of a thread. LOL.

I hatched three of three yesterday, two due Friday, three next week (failed broody), the preplacement eggs for the rest that should have been due Friday after that.

Then the eggs shipped today... chuckle... after that.

Nonsense. I can stop hatching any time. Any time at all. Really....

And I have a bridge for sale in NYC...

When I checked on my broody this am I discovered the first one out of 8 has hatched. Momma let me lift her a little for a quick peek. Looks like an australorp but only got a quick peek. I do have a question...I have been putting her out for a quick run around every morning but didn't attempt that this am. Will she stay on the nest till they all hatch....what about the monster poop she has been doing every morning? Can she go without a potty break for possibly 24 more hours? Also she pecked the little one - not hard - but did not want it poking it's head out this am. Is she just being protective?

vwoods, just leave her alone. She should be fine.
That's great your getting a hatch.

walks you kill me
lau.gif

I have a bator setting just screaming for eggs I'm so so tempted.

clucks I hope you the best.

purple cute chicks congrats hope the rest do good, I hate the exploding eggs.

Update on hen #6 at day 18 today. That bit_h she killed 2 chicks fully formed would of hatched babies
hit.gif

2 eggs are missing so I kicked her out and put the 5 remaining eggs in the hatching bator
fl.gif
I hope they all hatch.

It has to be the heat its 95 and climbing.

Last edited:
Broody tucked one scovy egg back under her and left one out. Gonna attempt to stick my hand in there and grab it, or maybe I'll have DH do it, he's much braver than I
lol.png

Gahhh the heat or the storms or something is REALLY messing up the broodies and hatches out there.

The turkeys are official failures, I traded chicken eggs for the turkey eggs to check them this morning and one had pipped and died, the other is alright but I'm not leaving a loner out there under two broody turkey hens. Tug of war is not good for babies. I'll put the three chicks I hatched out yesterday under them tonight. Hopefully that will fix it.

And my other broody's second attempt sigh... the last eggs from her first attempt are due this weekend probably. I'm going to see if I can't stuff them under her at night as well, she sucks at this and is driven off by storms and the juvenille roos. She's always been scatter-brained.

I've never had so many broodies get just weird and lose so many eggs or botched hatches.

Too wet, too hot, too stormy.

I'd like the weather to go back to normal now.

Though incubator eggs seem to like thunder storms, which is odd, but I get more pips in storms than out of them...

My first set of eggs due in this week are here. Banty eggs look soooo small in egg cartons.

Back
Top Bottom