Broody hens molting?

fleur90

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Hello,

I have 4 chickens. Last week, two were broody (it has been two months, on and off) and the two others were laying eggs. I thought the broody ones were molting, but I was not sure because I thought maybe they were pulling off their own feathers for their "nest". This week, Cecile, the white one with the bigger crest, started to lose feathers on her head too. She had started losing feathers a few weeks back, when she was broody too, then she was fine...

What do you guys think? Thanks!
IMG_20190812_192830898_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20190722_182645664_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_183227551_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20190722_183227551_BURST001.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

My broody's often molt after sitting and during raising a brood. They usually return to lay by the time they boot their babies.

Do you have a rooster?

The skin doesn't look angry. I would expect to see some pin feathers coming in fairly soon if it is indeed molt.

Checking after dark with a flashlight and part feathers below vent and on abdomen and look for things crawling away. This is when you get your best true picture if you are dealing with parasites or not.

Also, those look like dual purpose birds and will do best with not less than 18% protein.. meaning a grower or flock raiser feed instead of "layer". Offering oyster shell on the side free choice for layers allows those who need it to take some and those who aren't laying to avoid the extra calcium. Feathers are made from 90% protein and its' amino acids... using a higher protein feed has helped my birds go though less hard molts and come out of it faster.

:fl

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

My broody's often molt after sitting and during raising a brood. They usually return to lay by the time they boot their babies.

Do you have a rooster?

The skin doesn't look angry. I would expect to see some pin feathers coming in fairly soon if it is indeed molt.

Checking after dark with a flashlight and part feathers below vent and on abdomen and look for things crawling away. This is when you get your best true picture if you are dealing with parasites or not.

Also, those look like dual purpose birds and will do best with not less than 18% protein.. meaning a grower or flock raiser feed instead of "layer". Offering oyster shell on the side free choice for layers allows those who need it to take some and those who aren't laying to avoid the extra calcium. Feathers are made from 90% protein and its' amino acids... using a higher protein feed has helped my birds go though less hard molts and come out of it faster.

:fl
Thanks! I have changed their diet to 18% protein already. I will check them at night. I do not have a rooster.

When you say they are broody...did you break the broodiness or did they hatch chicks or...?[/QUOTE

I did not break the broodiness but I take the eggs away. The eggs are not fertilized because I don't have a rooster. I block the access to the nests but they just go somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom