Broody hens

Strategic Chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
Hi. I have two 7-month old hens (one just recently died) and both of them have gone broody. There is no rooster, so they are not fertile. This is my first time handling broody hens, and it is getting close to the end of the 21 day period. I tried every day to get them outside and lock them out, but the very next day, they're back to their stubborn ways. Please help me break their broodiness because they aren't eating and drinking, and I'm not getting eggs! Thank you.

x2. Here's a good article with photos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

At this point they'll most likely break on their own soon, because of the amount of time passed. In the future, if you don't plan on having them raise chicks I really recommend you begin breaking immediately upon confirming broodiness, as it makes for faster and more reliable breaking, usually about 48 hrs or less.

My sebrights are the only ones I've broken deliberately, because they had been sitting in a nest for 5 weeks with nothing but cooked eggs to show for their efforts. Took all three about a week to stop the broody talk and actions and another couple days more for them to finally return to normal. Of course, one started crowing afterwards too, but all 3 laid once they got back into the glgroove

Usually 48 hrs will do it if they're not super broody types. If you let her out at 48 hours and she doesn't return to the nest site and isn't showing too many other broody behaviors, I'd consider her broken at that point.
Should have waited another day. Let her out at 24 hours, she ran around and foraged, took a dust bath, and within an hour was back in the nest.
So back to timeout...

Attachments

• 20230517_140432.jpg
    20230517_140432.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 16
Update on Broody Ruby...
After 48 hours in the pen, she was.let out today and was acting pretty normal. Was only in the nest at an attempted egg laying, otherwise out free ranging all day. Until, bed time...instead of roosting, she was back in the nest!

We put her back in the pen, but that doesn't see like the right move.

Thoughts?
48 hours often isn't enough.
I let mine out a couple hours before roost time,
if they are in a nest at lock up back into the crate for another 48 hours.

Broody hen discovered!
Luckily, we identified this on day one. Set up her time out zone with food and water. She has been in time out for almost 24 hours, and seems to be more settled.

How long should she remain in timeout? Any thoughts??

Broody hen discovered!
Luckily, we identified this on day one. Set up her time out zone with food and water. She has been in time out for almost 24 hours, and seems to be more settled.

How long should she remain in timeout? Any thoughts??
Usually 48 hrs will do it if they're not super broody types. If you let her out at 48 hours and she doesn't return to the nest site and isn't showing too many other broody behaviors, I'd consider her broken at that point.

Update on Broody Ruby...
After 48 hours in the pen, she was.let out today and was acting pretty normal. Was only in the nest at an attempted egg laying, otherwise out free ranging all day. Until, bed time...instead of roosting, she was back in the nest!

We put her back in the pen, but that doesn't see like the right move.

Thoughts?
Try letting her out again tomorrow morning. She might be at the tail end of it, so close, but not yet broken.

Back
Top Bottom