Broody hiding under coop

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
I have a broody hen and was planning to put eggs under her today. My cockerel, who hasn’t yet been successful in convincing any of my hens to squat for him (my pullets aren’t laying yet), chased her around this morning when I got the broody up off her nest to stretch her legs/dust bathe/eat etc. I’ve never had a rooster before but it looked like he might have been tidbitting her a little - picking up things and putting them down, and she was the only one nearby. Then he started chasing her and she ran away. This is a little unusual because she usually stands her ground and chases him off.
Anyway, now she’s hiding under my coop and making growling cat disgruntled noises. Should I try to get her out? She’s not incubating eggs yet, but I have them in the nest for when she got back.
Also, should I keep her more isolated because of this?

Attachments

• 498E5E81-2799-4CBC-B335-35CA1011FBD1.jpeg
    498E5E81-2799-4CBC-B335-35CA1011FBD1.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 12
Update: she’s come out and so far the cockerel has left her alone besides both of them fluffing their feathers, flapping wings and giving each other the stink eye. Still, should I be concerned about getting her off the nest in the future?

Are you positive she's broody.....or is she just hiding from the cockerel?

I'd block off under the coop if you can't reach a bird that is under there.
Safest idea.

My broody hens like to hide someplace to brood. It is also fine to let them brood with the flock. When brooding with the flock you must CLEARLY mark each egg, so you can remove any added eggs. Also see if she sticks to the nest.

Sometimes in a flock setting the other hens will distract her, and she might switch nests.

Are you positive she's broody.....or is she just hiding from the cockerel?

I'd block off under the coop if you can't reach a bird that is under there.
That is in the plans, we are finishing up painting the outside and then will put the hardware cloth up.
She’s definitely broody. I tried breaking her for several days like I usually do but she was so determined, I just caved and gave her some eggs from a local breeder that I was wanting to hatch anyway. I was just thinking about getting hatching eggs in the spring, not now. All the eggs are marked.

Last edited:
Safest idea.

My broody hens like to hide someplace to brood. It is also fine to let them brood with the flock. When brooding with the flock you must CLEARLY mark each egg, so you can remove any added eggs. Also see if she sticks to the nest.

Sometimes in a flock setting the other hens will distract her, and she might switch nests.
The cockerel chased her again today - I neglected to separate them - and she went into the wrong nesting box when she made a mad dash to get back into the relative safety of the coop. I was right there, so I just purer in the right one. He only seems to be targeting her. The other hens he’s wary of, and the pullets hang out peaceably with him.
I want to let her brood with the flock, but I also worry about the chicks safety if the cockerel tries to harass them the same way he harasses the broody. I have my original coop that’s got an enclosed run that I could put one or the other into, but I’m not sure which would be the better choice to isolate. If I have to get rid one one, it will be the cockerel, as he’s only here on probation. He was supposed to be a pullet and I decided to give him a chance, but very unsure of this whole raging hormone phase we’ve started into.

I have a small coop with an enclosed run that I could put him in. Will that set him back in terms of learning good manners around the ladies?
Eh..... in my book he has already lost the right to stay in the flock.

Males are a dime a dozen,no reason to keep a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom