Broody in an upstairs nest box!

PennysHennys

Songster
May 18, 2018
East Tennessee
One of my Speckled Sussex pullets has gone broody which is fine with me. However, she has chosen to be broody in one of my "upstairs" nest boxes. There is a large opening in the coop floor to accommodate the walking ramp. How should I handle this so babies will not fall down into the lower area after hatching? This is a multi hen use nesting site so I really cannot close it off from the other 12 chickens. Will it cause her to stop setting if I move her? Thanks in advance!
Penny

One of my Speckled Sussex pullets has gone broody which is fine with me. However, she has chosen to be broody in one of my "upstairs" nest boxes. There is a large opening in the coop floor to accommodate the walking ramp. How should I handle this so babies will not fall down into the lower area after hatching? This is a multi hen use nesting site so I really cannot close it off from the other 12 chickens. Will it cause her to stop setting if I move her? Thanks in advance!
Penny
If she is in a spot where she won't be bothered by predators I would leave her be. When the chicks to hatch I would then move her to a brooder. If you move her before hatch do it at night and she should stay on her eggs. I move my girls all the time and they do not care. They are so used to me I do it during daylight . During a bad winter I had to move my broody silkie inside to my extra bedroom. I would take her outside to eat poop and drink. She learned her eggs were inside and would wait at the door until I opened it and she would come on inside and go to the bedroom. Lol

Thank you ashlierami! She is in a secure coop. I will follow your advice and see how it goes. I was surprised that she went broody since she is so young, I read that Sussexs are prone to setting. Really cute about your silkie!

If she is in a spot where she won't be bothered by predators I would leave her be. When the chicks to hatch I would then move her to a brooder. If you move her before hatch do it at night and she should stay on her eggs. I move my girls all the time and they do not care. They are so used to me I do it during daylight . During a bad winter I had to move my broody silkie inside to my extra bedroom. I would take her outside to eat poop and drink. She learned her eggs were inside and would wait at the door until I opened it and she would come on inside and go to the bedroom. Lol

wonder would you mind reading my predicament? I just posted about 5 minutes ago. similar situation however my hens are not very approachable with the chicks about.

Hello LeggyLeghorn!
So your hen has already hatched it seems. If the chicks are in danger of falling or getting lost I would net the hen with a soft fishing net just to immobilize her and then gently but firmly pick her up and move her to a suitable location. Round up the babies and take them to her. Others on the forum with much more experience will chime in I am sure but this is what I intend to do after mine hatches her clutch. My pullet is in a nest box with a lid on top so I can reach in after dark and pick her up. She will squawk and carry on but if I hold her wings close to her body she will quickly settle down. Plus, I am not afraid to be pecked which helps :yesss:. Best of luck!

Hello LeggyLeghorn!
So your hen has already hatched it seems. If the chicks are in danger of falling or getting lost I would net the hen with a soft fishing net just to immobilize her and then gently but firmly pick her up and move her to a suitable location. Round up the babies and take them to her. Others on the forum with much more experience will chime in I am sure but this is what I intend to do after mine hatches her clutch. My pullet is in a nest box with a lid on top so I can reach in after dark and pick her up. She will squawk and carry on but if I hold her wings close to her body she will quickly settle down. Plus, I am not afraid to be pecked which helps :yesss:. Best of luck!
thank you. I am sorted now. I will have to leave the one hen with the chicks closed up in the coop. The other hen has been discharged from mother hen duties. when this situation today became quite hostile, I took a few good slaps in the face with wings in full force. the pecking was minimal. :highfive:

thank you. I am sorted now. I will have to leave the one hen with the chicks closed up in the coop. The other hen has been discharged from mother hen duties. when this situation today became quite hostile, I took a few good slaps in the face with wings in full force. the pecking was minimal. :highfive:
Glad to hear you have the situation under control. Sometimes I think my chickens own me!!

first time hatch for me and I did it O'Natural. I most likely could have found my answer in this thread, perhaps the wing thrashing knocked me senseless. But, I do like to post a thread.
Learning as I go!:)

Back
Top Bottom