Broody in November?

JCOP

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
Nitro, wv
I have a Maran that is broody. This is her first time. My only concern is it's November. Has anyone else had this happen? How was the hatch?
20211106_134231.jpg

I had a December broody once, with a Black Copper Maran, it was her first time going broody. I brought her in the house for the duration, as I didn't have a brooder built in the coop back then. I don't think she rotated the eggs properly, and she almost never left her nest - only 2 hatched, but they were perfectly healthy, one boy, one girl.

I don't think the time of year presents much more challenge than usual. Does she have her own space, away from the others? She might do better in a nest that is enclosed more, that will hold onto more heat & humidity, but you have to weigh that against the risk of frostbite in your area.

Attachments

• Hen and Chick.jpg
    Hen and Chick.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 3
It can go well, or it can go bad. Depends on how cold your winters get, how many end up hatching, how many she's sitting on and how good of a mother she is
Right now its getting about 30 degrees at night. Weather in West Virginia have been so random these past few years. One year you can wear shorts on Thanksgiving and the next its so cold you don't want to go outside. She is sitting on 9 eggs .

Just because a bird goes broody, doesn't mean you have to let her hatch.
This ^.

I would break her.
If she is a determined broody, she'll go broody again when the weather is more conducive to raising chicks. YOU are the one managing the flock, not her.

Back
Top Bottom