Broody issues

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I have a orpington hen who isnt working with me, she likes to sit on clutches of eggs then abandon them when she feels like it.:he I've just started getting her to sit on a clutch of my bantam/rare egg layers, and I got back from work today and she was on a diffrent clutch. It was hot out so they were relatively warm. They just started developing the blood vessels. How cold can they get for a slight chance on them hatching?:jumpy

:welcome If your eggs were viable to begin with, they should be fine. You need to come up with some method to keep her away from other nest sites.

I have a orpington hen who isnt working with me, she likes to sit on clutches of eggs then abandon them when she feels like it.:he I've just started getting her to sit on a clutch of my bantam/rare egg layers, and I got back from work today and she was on a diffrent clutch. It was hot out so they were relatively warm. They just started developing the blood vessels. How cold can they get for a slight chance on them hatching?:jumpy
Then don't give that bird eggs ;)
Hope you have an incubator ready to go.
Might work on confining bird to a place with only one nest and no other birds to interfere.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @LittleBigBantam
Might want to start a new thread here to tell us about yourself and get some navigation guidance:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-10_18-28-8.png

Thanks for the help! But I dont know how many hours they sat. I'm at work for roughly 7 hours. The eggs were room temperature when I got back. I followed the advice and got her contained to the chick coop (a small coop I put young chicks in). And now shes staying on them. But will the eggs hatch?

Thanks for the help! But I dont know how many hours they sat. I'm at work for roughly 7 hours. The eggs were room temperature when I got back. I followed the advice and got her contained to the chick coop (a small coop I put young chicks in). And now shes staying on them. But will the eggs hatch?
Good chance...only time will tell.
Candle them in a few days and see what's up.

Update! 8 out of the 12 eggs are developing great. I even saw a few squirming around in their shell! I have about 2 weeks left to go. I'm gonna candle them two times before the 18th so I know which ones to remove

Update! 8 out of the 12 eggs are developing great. I even saw a few squirming around in their shell! I have about 2 weeks left to go. I'm gonna candle them two times before the 18th so I know which ones to remove
Please keep us updated! I just had a pullet hatch six chicks a week ago for the first time. Very exciting!

Back
Top Bottom