Broody Jail

I love that you labeled it! This dog crate has very large holes on the bottom which is the issue. I dont have enough 4x4s to line the whole bottom. She could very easily put both feet through these holes. It was a garage sale find...10 bucks for it. Its just thick enough cardboard that she can stand on it without falling through. She's pooping in there no problem which is why I'm thinking this will be short lived but this is my first broody. Every other time that they started this behavior I would just take the eggs out from under them and then they would give up and walk off.
The broody crate marked 'broody'?
It's the only 1 of 4 crates that will fit in that space between the brackets.
If you can see that label then you can see the 1x2 cage mesh that I added on the bottom...adding that mesh is essential, IMO, and will make using it SO much easier.
It's even easier to see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I love that you labeled it! This dog crate has very large holes on the bottom which is the issue. I dont have enough 4x4s to line the whole bottom. She could very easily put both feet through these holes. It was a garage sale find...10 bucks for it. Its just thick enough cardboard that she can stand on it without falling through. She's pooping in there no problem which is why I'm thinking this will be short lived but this is my first broody. Every other time that they started this behavior I would just take the eggs out from under them and then they would give up and walk off.
Try turning it over, putting the big holes on top

Try turning it over, putting the big holes on top
I thought about doing this but I need a hand so I have to wait for my helper to get home. He's been pretty busy at home too because we had a tree fall into our neighbors' property. The neighbors are nice about it but it fell on top of 2 other trees so its taking a while to clean it up. In the mean time I'm just watching her behavior. She is being more active in the crate and clucking less. She's now only doing it if I touch her. Yesterday I couldnt get near her without her clucking and spreading out

20190816_114833.jpg

Her current state

When I put them into Broody jail they were very unhappy and I was worried they were getting stressed as they were both in there as both were broody. Margo was less broody so I took her out but then Ruby went nuts so I ended up lettin her out also. Is it ok to put them both in there together ?

Ruby and Margo are in Broody Jail a few times during the day. Margo is not so friendly to Ruby but if I remove one of them the other goes nuts. Both are broody . I dont like to see them stressed but if broody jail works then broody jail it is.

I posted a pic of my girls in broody jail. Is this correctly done ?
Yep, I see you've turned the crate upside down, which can work but not great footing.
Good to put something secure over the 'top', the tray with a heavy brick or bungie cords can work, have seen them escape thru large openings.

Nope, they won't like it, but they will accept it after awhile

This spring I tried something different for a couple broody hens. I put rectangular short plastic containers with lids filled with ice in their nesting box for them to sit on. Changed the ice twice a day. Third day they were back to acting normally.
That's brilliant, cool but not too cold.
Did they move to nests without ice...what about other hens laying?

Back
Top Bottom