Broody Japense quail hatched out a chick! Finally!

I'm wondering if one could use any tricks to keep the eggs warm when the hen wanders off... heat lamp? heat pad?

Sorry for not posting. School has made me quite busy.

Sadly, little Valentine passed away at 2 weeks of age. When I posted about her having wry neck, I realized after a day that it was only a phase (thankfully), and she was back to normal, playing and exploring with her little brother (I found out that Rain is a male). She was very healthy, I couldn't even tell which chick was which, until one day I noticed how much faster Rain was growing compared to Valentine in both feathers and size. However, she was still quite healthy, then one day her health just dramatically declined where she kept tumbling over. She even fell into the food and got it in her eye. After being cleaned, she was then put in a separate container where the chicks could see each other but Rain couldn't tread on her. She declined so drastically that she later passed away.

I was devastated, and so was Rain. He kept calling for her. We buried her the next day. Thankfully, Rain was thriving. He's a strong male, 4 weeks old now, and he has a nice colouration. I can't keep him since he's a male, but I'm having a bit of trouble right now.

I would whistle or say hello to him like I did when he was a baby and he would just make that low grunting sounds that males make when they see other males. He had made interactions with the other quail before though. I have to sell/give him away, but I don't want to give him away if he's just going to grunt at anyone, since the last thing I want is for him to be cooked for dinner by a new owner because of this annoying phase. Anyone understand why he's doing this? Is he being anti-social?

Back
Top Bottom