Broody Lady Amherst hen cohabitating with Chickens - what next?

janen_33

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Hello,

I hope someone else is or has experienced our current situation: we have a pair of Lady Amherst Pheasants that cohabitate with our 2 egg laying hens. Our chickens and pheasants have lived together for almost a year. Our chickens are just a year old (we got them 1st) and our pheasants are about 2 years old (we got them when they were 1 year old). Our female pheasant started laying late February. She would lay her eggs in different areas of the pen so we didn't think she was going to be broody (we ended up collecting about a dozen eggs and incubated them manually, but they didn't hatch)...about 3 weeks ago I found her in the chicken coop in one of the nesting boxes! She doesn't move much (except to change positions - that I can tell), and doesn't like it when I come to collect the chickens' eggs - I try not to bother her but I've had to skooch her behind in or tuck her tail after I've opened the back of the hutch to collect the chickens' eggs. Anyway, today one of the golf balls (we put them in the nesting boxes to get the chickens to lay and never removed them) that was in her nest fell out. Since I had to pick it up I decided to put it in the nesting box next to her..WAS THAT OK or did I mess up? I didn't think I should put it back under her since it smelled like me..I did however, see 2 of the eggs she's been sitting on!! AND, I just checked the pen and she's still in the nesting box - so that's a good thing...right?

So my million dollar question is this: do we need to be concerned about the baby pheasants being picked on by the chickens? Part of me believes the chickens won't bother them and if they do, the female pheasant will protect her young...but I'm still worried...

Thank you for your feedback!
Jane

cool.png
our dogs love our birds!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Is she on chicken eggs, amherst eggs, or a mixture of both........(that can be one issue with different hatch times)

Depending on size of quarters, but most likely the chickens won't bother the chicks, other than stampedeing to food or you and stepping on them.

Generally AMherst don't make for th emost dependable mothers. They often don't complete the brood cycle and often don't take care of their chicks well in the first place, so honestly you are already beating the odds. Good luck

Hi Kikescove,

Thanks for your comments! I think she's on Amherst eggs (I just assumed they were), if she's on the chicken eggs, she'll be sitting on them for a loooong time (we don't have a rooster).
roll.png

I have to say, we are really excited since we read that Amhersts aren't big brooders - and that she's been sitting on the eggs for almost 22 days! The coop has 3 nesting boxes/sections so each bird has her own nest - so we're good on space...I'll just keep my ears and eyes open for the new babies! ~~

Thanks again!

Jane

:Dour dogs love our birds!!!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom