Broody Leghorn

Lannah

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
Hi there,
I have a question!! I have a broody leghorn. She was insistent and after two weeks, I gave in and gave her 10 eggs to sit on. It is day 9 and although I have found two cracked (and somewhat eaten) she is still broody strong.
My question is, will she stay broody another 12 days and see it through till they hatch? I’m only asking since I waited almost two weeks to make the decision to allow her the opportunity to have chicks.
New to owning chickens, but excited to see if we get some chicks!!! ❤️

hello @Lannah ! welcome to BYC :frow
Having a broody is exciting, and I do hope it goes well for you both. But 10 is quite a lot of eggs for a first time broody and a leghorn; she may struggle to cover them all. In any case, I assume you removed the cracked ones...? As they say, don't count your chickens before they hatch, and be thankful if she does stay and manage to raise some :) You will both learn from the experience too, and be better prepared for the next time she goes broody (as she will in my experience; they don't go just once).

She should, though they aren't known to be broody occasionally you will get one. as they are so light in the first place as long as she's in a place the others can't get to her, keep food and water close to her. She can feel those chicks moving around in there, be prepared to incubate them if she changes her mind and don't know how they are as moms so have a brooder area just to be safe, I have never gone more than 3 days at determined though.

Thank you
And I did remove the broken ones, cleaned the nest and gently cleaned the remaking eggs.
I did my first candle on eggs this morning and (there are 6 that have a dark mass ( hoping that’s good) and two that I can’t tell as they are very dark eggs.
She will honest and drink when I remove her from the nest, so I know she is getting some food and water. She won’t stay away long and I have noticed when she leaves some of the other hens run in and sit on her eggs (occasionally) laying there own, that I remove. I marked hers so I could keep them identified.
Yes it is exciting and a little scary since I’ve always

Having a broody is exciting, and I do hope it goes well for you both. But 10 is quite a lot of eggs for a first time broody and a leghorn; she may struggle to cover them all. In any case, I assume you removed the cracked ones...? As they say, don't count your chickens before they hatch, and be thankful if she does stay and manage to raise some :) You will both learn from the experience too, and be better prepared for the next time she goes broody (as she will in my experience; they don't go just once).
Especially for a Leg horn, my crazy chickens though the others help and a broody tries to hatch out 30 before ya know it, but I have dual purpose birds and they can handle about 10-15

Back
Top Bottom