Broody Leghorn!?!

Chknmom2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
I am new too chicken raising (less than a year!) I am establishing a flock of 11 and I have 2 leghorns laying so far. (I'm very excited!) my leghorns have been laying for a couple of months now and are great layers, good size tasty eggs! Of four pullets I got back in April, 3 were actually Roos. I re homed the Roos about a month ago when I was positive all 3 were, in fact roosters! About a week and a half before I re-homed my boys, my leghorn started acting weird, always filthy, and lingering on the nest after her and the other leghorn were done laying. She got better after they were gone for a week or so, but about two weeks ago she started again. Today, I had to lift her off the nest to get the eggs! She did peck and "growl" at me, but I was able to get the eggs finally. I have ceramic eggs and I replaced the eggs I took with those, but I want to make sure I'm not making it worse! I have my silkie roo (also supposed to be a pullet!) and bantam Ameracauna in a separate coop since my silkie is prone to wry neck and has episodes if he gets stressed or if he gets pecked in the head. They are always separated though, so is it possible she is being broody just because there is a rooster nearby? I have never heard of a broody leghorn before! Is this normal? Any and all advice is welcomed! Below is my Dusty and his bantam Ameracauna hen, Cinder. If they ever breed, should be pretty chicks! Lol

There doesn't have to be a rooster within a hundred miles and if they get the desire to raise a family, the hormones will kick in. Unusual for Leghorns but it happens. I had a Black Leghorn that raised about 5 broods for me.
In the old days with a flock of 100 leghorns we'd often have 2 or 3 in broody jail. I you don't have fertile egg nor want chicks, you should consider putting her in an elevated wire bottom cage for 2 or 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom