Broody mama lost all 8 eggs.

GreenwoodChickadoodledo

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
I could use some advice. I have my first broody hen. I gave her 8 eggs on June 25th. Of course, she picked the most popular nest box to brood in. She got crowded frequently. We tried to build a broody section in the coop but it took too long and only had 1 egg left by the time we got it fixed up. Over 2 weeks we lost egg after egg to cracks. I can never be sure if it was just chickens jostling for the favorite nestbox, an assassinHEN, or thin shells. The last egg made it to today, day 17th. I went to check on her and found her right by the entrance to her brooder space sitting on the last smashed egg and the dummy eggs I had given her. I had left her brooder space open so she could get out to dust bath, eat, drink, etc. The makeshift nest box was on its side. I'm not sure if broody mama tipped it over going on her daily trip outside or if another hen tried to be an egg-sitter. The shell did seem thin but there was definitely a developing chick in there. I'm so disappointed. I'm wondering what to do now. Will she just snap out being broody once she realizes all her eggs are gone? I'll be taking the fake eggs away soon. How successful is fostering with a few chicks from TSC? Can I even let baby chicks in with the rest of the flock or would I need to keep them separated? Thanks in advance.

I could use some advice. I have my first broody hen. I gave her 8 eggs on June 25th. Of course, she picked the most popular nest box to brood in. She got crowded frequently. We tried to build a broody section in the coop but it took too long and only had 1 egg left by the time we got it fixed up. Over 2 weeks we lost egg after egg to cracks. I can never be sure if it was just chickens jostling for the favorite nestbox, an assassinHEN, or thin shells. The last egg made it to today, day 17th. I went to check on her and found her right by the entrance to her brooder space sitting on the last smashed egg and the dummy eggs I had given her. I had left her brooder space open so she could get out to dust bath, eat, drink, etc. The makeshift nest box was on its side. I'm not sure if broody mama tipped it over going on her daily trip outside or if another hen tried to be an egg-sitter. The shell did seem thin but there was definitely a developing chick in there. I'm so disappointed. I'm wondering what to do now. Will she just snap out being broody once she realizes all her eggs are gone? I'll be taking the fake eggs away soon. How successful is fostering with a few chicks from TSC? Can I even let baby chicks in with the rest of the flock or would I need to keep them separated? Thanks in advance.
If she's still sitting on dummy eggs, you can try fostering. Just know it might not work. I got my mama Cochin that was 5 days in to take pipped eggs instead. Today is her 7th day if brooding and she's got 2 babies already and more coming

She won't snap out of being broody after being allowed to sit for that long, chances are you'll have to break her which is not a fun thing.
If fostering is successful you can let mom and foster kids out with the flock, mom will be one heck of a bodyguard.,:)
I was afraid of that. I think I'm going to try fostering. Maybe not 8 but a few. Thanks.

What does the nest look like?
It should be stable enough that it won't tip over.
That was my mistake. I removed her from the original nest box because I couldn't fit it in the broody section and I didn't have any spare nest boxes that would fit. I put her, her last egg, and some dummy eggs in a cardboard box that I trimmed down and filled with litter. Total rookie move. Complete failure on my part. Lesson learned the worst way.

That was my mistake. I removed her from the original nest box because I couldn't fit it in the broody section and I didn't have any spare nest boxes that would fit. I put her, her last egg, and some dummy eggs in a cardboard box that I trimmed down and filled with litter. Total rookie move. Complete failure on my part. Lesson learned the worst way.
Look into rabbit nest boxes and the rubber hanging livestock buckets. Those are usually a good size

Back
Top Bottom