Broody Mama Quail Hatched Babies - help!!

torch21

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
I have 5 corturnix quail, 3 hens and 2 roos. They live in a tractor supply esk chicken coop we've dubbed "the quail palace" as they have a ton of room to move around. A hen apparently hid a whole pile of fertilized eggs and we woke this morning to about 10 little babies.

We've given them a bowl of water with rocks in it to drink out of, and we're tossing chick feed into the area where them and Mama are primarily hanging out. Mama is doing great so far!! Pecking me when I get close, keeping the other quail away, and letting the babies huddle under her for warmth.

Am I ok to leave the babies in with mama? I really don't want to bring them in and put them under a light. My old boss tried raising quail in an incubator and I saw countless babies die that way, so I'd really like to see how these babies do with mama.

I have 5 corturnix quail, 3 hens and 2 roos. They live in a tractor supply esk chicken coop we've dubbed "the quail palace" as they have a ton of room to move around. A hen apparently hid a whole pile of fertilized eggs and we woke this morning to about 10 little babies.

We've given them a bowl of water with rocks in it to drink out of, and we're tossing chick feed into the area where them and Mama are primarily hanging out. Mama is doing great so far!! Pecking me when I get close, keeping the other quail away, and letting the babies huddle under her for warmth.

Am I ok to leave the babies in with mama? I really don't want to bring them in and put them under a light. My old boss tried raising quail in an incubator and I saw countless babies die that way, so I'd really like to see how these babies do with mama.
Lucky you! Keep us updated. It's a rarity to have mama-raised coturnix.

I do wonder about your roo to hen ratio, though. You are very lucky that those boys haven't torn each other apart or overmated your hens. They must be very good natured.

If you aren't doing it already, it's probably worth putting some finely ground feed on a paper plate or in another feeder back at their end of the dwelling. They won't have to look for feed pieces they can eat. Instead they can chow down.

Back
Top Bottom