Broody mamas chicks and I’m lost

Pa funnyfarm

Songster
Jan 19, 2013
I’ll start with - I’ve had experiences with each of the flocks I chose over the years. My only other broody hen was 6 month old silkie with a hidden clutch of eggs ( it was cold December and I thought they’d stopped for winter oops) In house in big kennel with her until she was done at 6 weeks and she went easily back with her little flock And not having space the chicks became 2 starter flocks for excited people. Its 9 years later, and my little silkies have been gone since last winter. Started a new coop set up and excited to have my first ever true bantams, some hatchery mystery and some chosen. I learned - broody is contagious. Allowing that first puller to keep a few eggs encouraged most of my 10. All but 4 broke quickly. I learned a china marker can’t be how eggs get marked when others keep laying in the nest. It rubbed off. Learned how to candle eggs. Cool by the way. Most all of this from reading BYC
I’ve come to a what was I thinking. 4 hens sharing 2 nests. Nest 1 a Mille fluehr d’Uccle and a Cochin. Separate didn’t work. They were right back together with 12 eggs from all the girls so from tiny to small. I was working on lower nest on day 16 when I heard peeps. Moved both to under nest boxes with the nest box. They hatched out 8 over a week from first 5 to last 3. Took nest box and gave them a better box, screen over wire to keep others away. Coop area inside is 4x8 with 14 pullets and cockerels.
2 of theirs have died, one was a week and a half old bigger one found in nest when they came out in am. I let them have the coop awhile While all others closed out into enclosed with roof run. 2nd was one of the tiny younger ones. They had the other 6 out and I found this one cold in their little pen. Under mama warmer inside and seemed to be ok but died the 2nd day. The next day, they took 4 big ones out. Ignored the chirps of the littles who got part way and stopped. I cleaned, and when they came back they walked right over the little chirps who the Cochin used to keep under her. As they went in, I turned them around so they’d follow but she pecked them hard as they tried to come back in. Took them in and they are still in, this us day 2. Eating and all fine but inside in brooder bin. I’ll continue a part 2

Part two. The other 2, a Cochin frizzle and another Cochin also in one nest. They had 8 eggs. They started a week behind the others. A week and a half later the Cochin left the nest for a break and stayed out all day. Realized peeps in with frizzle so moved them to kennel set up. Frizz wouldn’t let the other one back in. She has 6 chicks. One egg had blood ring, one looked like pecked from outside at pip but the chick was entombed in membrane. It’s head was in point not air cell. Frizzle is a Great mom - protector. I thought maybe since the 2 little ones look identical she’d maybe take them even tho older by a week and a half. That’s when I realized they are truly runts. Less than half the size of her others. Guess that won’t work.
i have a huge dog kennel that could house one set in roofed run that has pavers as a floor and run is enclosed in half inch hardware cloth. If protected from blowing rain, should they be ok out of the actual inside part? Initially I was getting it set for feathered out to introduce. I can’t do early intro unless only the older maybe and put the younger in the kennel in run so others keep seeing for later. because the hens go after each other when out with their clutch. The screening and plastic chicken wire keeps heads from fitting through so no blood but they really try to get each other.
I’m sorry so long. Any thoughts?
option B would be to take all chicks and let my granddaughter have to brood. She’s asked for any that are pullets if too many or can’t keep. So this let mama raise them is easier? 🤣 if I ever do it again I’d def have all ready ahead.And not multiples !

Does the hen who pecked the chicks still have eggs under her to hatch?
No. They didn’t come off until all hatched. She’s the one who actually stayed with these late comers while the other hen took the 4 already hatched out in the coop. I figured even though all together she was taking on the smallest

Back
Top Bottom