It looks like a prolapse, and the blackish area looks a bit dried out. Keep it cleaned up—a warm shallow soak daily if she is inside where it is warm would help keep her clean, and help the vent area heal. Keep the outside of the prolapse moist with honey, hydrocortisone cream, or vaseline. Make sure that she is pooping. I would not apply antifungal cream to chicks. I think it is up to you as to whether to leave the chicks with her or not. It is always easier to have a broody raise chicks, but it may not be possible if she needs a lot of treatment. You could try it and see how it goes. Make sure that you have a heat source and brooder if the chicks are still tiny, if you have to take them away from her.

It looks like a prolapse, and the blackish area looks a bit dried out. Keep it cleaned up—a warm shallow soak daily if she is inside where it is warm would help keep her clean, and help the vent area heal. Keep the outside of the prolapse moist with honey, hydrocortisone cream, or vaseline. Make sure that she is pooping. I would not apply antifungal cream to chicks. I think it is up to you as to whether to leave the chicks with her or not. It is always easier to have a broody raise chicks, but it may not be possible if she needs a lot of treatment. You could try it and see how it goes. Make sure that you have a heat source and brooder if the chicks are still tiny, if you have to take them away from her.
She has pooped a broody baseball size poop and now several small ones. I’ve cleaned her, soaked her, dried her, put creams and Vetericyn on her. I’ve pushed the tissue in but each time she pops it comes back out, although about half of what it was. She was very upset looking for babies and babies were looking for her so I cleaned up their fenced off space, put in clean electrolyte/probiotic water, fresh nesting pad and reunited them.

Can they also get this? Will my hen leave the nest to poop? Would Prep. H help? Can the creams make baby sick? For the vent fleet can I add ACV to the water if babies are drinking it too? The dirty nesting pad was soaked and super smelly and babies were just chilling under her on it. Such a sad reminder of how things can change in a a day! Breaks my heart as she’s my baby 🥰 I want to do the best, healthiest thing for all!

Last edited:
Update…
Kept babies with her and they appear alert and happy still. Momma’s girl took another spa afternoon. Gave her some egg for protein aka strength
F475096C-F1CD-4381-99A8-36AB474B3B96.jpeg
and she also poo’ed twice. After the soak and medicine… Applying Vetericyn, colloidal silver, Monistat, Prep H, Vaseline and raw honey for reference.
60EF141E-D29F-43D0-9526-7683E8790F6B.jpeg

Momma seems to be healing (see photo). I posted in the Behavior forum though because she isn’t getting up off the nest very often to poo or eat and drink. We took babies out and then I took her off the nest from their enclosed area. Put medicine on her bum, and then she had diarrhea…sighed and ran out the coop to dust bathe like a maniac. She ate, drank, free ranged for almost an hour, poi’s again this time soft but not liquid, then hopped back into the enclosed area and on the nest and we brought babies back to her. Wondering if that’s normal and if/when I should have them not enclosed off from the flock because then maybe Momma would take care of her needs too, not just hover over babies! Right now we are having a few very cold does so I have been apprehensive to have her and babies not enclosed off and snuggled up.
17FE6CF4-9C6A-42FB-B5B0-851BE9CD2CF5.jpeg
FD3C13A2-5A7D-4EF8-8AB4-34DB563EB8C8.jpeg
3CB19E22-5F51-4495-A08D-8754A7070FEC.jpeg
C9486A50-9EF7-4A3B-A1EE-10F8BC4A79F9.jpeg

Today marks 6 days of medicine (Monistat, Prep H and honey). Do you think tomorrow will be fine to stop and then just keep moist as it further heals? How long does it take for feathers to grow back? She’s been dust bathing in dirt and shavings and it appears a bit irritated/chapped due to the cold. She has also now went to solid poops, although still pretty brooding-large.
Pic for reference-
E4C056F8-30E3-41DD-A80D-ACE0344AE631.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom