Apr 5, 2022
NW WA
352CF5AF-9700-4915-B2F7-AD6C25A0BD3D.jpeg
Is this vent prolapse? How do I take care of this? Do I allow her two babies back under her? Please help!

She was ok yesterday and now this! Do I bathe her and use an anti fungal cream?
I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, but giving her a bath to clean her up sounds like a good idea.
You will at least be able to see whats what better, you could post another pic afterwards and hopefully someone else will come along.

It looks like a prolapse, and the blackish area looks a bit dried out. Keep it cleaned up—a warm shallow soak daily if she is inside where it is warm would help keep her clean, and help the vent area heal. Keep the outside of the prolapse moist with honey, hydrocortisone cream, or vaseline. Make sure that she is pooping. I would not apply antifungal cream to chicks. I think it is up to you as to whether to leave the chicks with her or not. It is always easier to have a broody raise chicks, but it may not be possible if she needs a lot of treatment. You could try it and see how it goes. Make sure that you have a heat source and brooder if the chicks are still tiny, if you have to take them away from her.

Update…
Kept babies with her and they appear alert and happy still. Momma’s girl took another spa afternoon. Gave her some egg for protein aka strength
F475096C-F1CD-4381-99A8-36AB474B3B96.jpeg
and she also poo’ed twice. After the soak and medicine… Applying Vetericyn, colloidal silver, Monistat, Prep H, Vaseline and raw honey for reference.
60EF141E-D29F-43D0-9526-7683E8790F6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom