Broody moved two eggs out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heyeddah, Apr 10, 2009.

1. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Ok I searched through some posts, but what does it mean and what should I do if the Silkie mom moves two out of four eggs out from under herself. She is on day 11. We candle them two days ago and it seemed as if 3 out of four were good, we were unsure of number four so we left it. Can she tell better than us if they are not viable eggs?
    I am new to this broody deal.
    Thanks for any helpful suggestions or links to information. I have no problem reading from good sources.

2. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Yes Mama knows best. she will kick eggs out that she thinks are not viable. But even Mama's make mistakes sometimes and I would candle them for sure. If they are still good then put them in your bator.

Sheila

3. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I went to get them to candle and she pulled them back under her. Maybe she knew we were talking about her. I guess she does know best

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'd candle and try to hatch them yourself if they're still wiggling. Broodies make mistakes. They may or may not make it, be prepared for one or all to just not quite hatch.

If there is something wrong and the eggs are "off temperature" due to the chicks poor progress then a broody kicks it out. Unfortunately chickens have pea brains and sometimes just make mistakes so you try but you understand, if the hen was right then they will either not hatch or hatch and die.

5. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    most of the time they will incubate any egg they see. Sometimes they move around and an egg slips out, thus making us think she kicked it out. Just take the egg and place it in front of her and she will tuck it back under her. It is most common when there are too many eggs or a new broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by