Broody muscovy stole another's nest and eggs!

Lugh

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Deerfield Beach, FL
Hi all--

I have two hens that are about 6 months old. One is laying and is acting broody, the other is not laying but broody. The non-laying hen has stolen the nest of the laying hen and is sitting on the eggs, meanwhile the other laying hen isn't done laying! She went over to the nest this morning to lay another egg and retreated when she saw the other hen in there. What should I do?

Did that. The layer laid her egg but the broody hen left the nest and is squawking up a storm. Neither have returned. Are those eggs going to be ok?

You know, I am starting to think that this might be a mixed nest. It's entirely possible that both of them have been laying eggs in this nest and now one is broody and wants to sit. She's gathered about 25 eggs into a clutch. What do I do about the other one? I could build another nesting shack close to this one and give her eggs to sit on, I suppose.

You know, I am starting to think that this might be a mixed nest. It's entirely possible that both of them have been laying eggs in this nest and now one is broody and wants to sit. She's gathered about 25 eggs into a clutch. What do I do about the other one? I could build another nesting shack close to this one and give her eggs to sit on, I suppose.

If both are broody split the nest and give each one some eggs. They will nest close together but will do better if not on the same nest. My girls will make their own nests in the shaving but be in the same area of each other.

Thanks Lydia. Only one is broody, the other just lays her eggs, moves them around for a bit, then goes about her daily business. The broody is not happy to share the nest.

Thanks Lydia. Only one is broody, the other just lays her eggs, moves them around for a bit, then goes about her daily business. The broody is not happy to share the nest.
The problem with having a duck lay in a nest where a broody duck is sitting is you'll have a staggered hatch and when first ducklings hatch mama will only stay on the nest 3-4 days after those first ducklings hatch she'll want to take those ducklings out which means the later eggs won't have anyone to finish brooding them. always a good idea to mark eggs under a broody so new eggs can be removed.Maybe by then your other one will be broody and take over.

That's what I'll do then. The current broody isn't the best at what she's doing. She will, on occasion, leave the nest for a lot longer than a few minutes. She's been gone for an hour at the moment.

That's what I'll do then. The current broody isn't the best at what she's doing. She will, on occasion, leave the nest for a lot longer than a few minutes. She's been gone for an hour at the moment.
Honestly they know what they are doing, so try not to interfere any more than you need to.When it's warm out they may stay off the nest longer to keep from over heating the eggs. Hopefully as time goes on she'll get better at brooding. Keep us updated on all the happenings
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom