Broody muscovy??

MommaSampson

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
West Virginia
My Lucy started laying about 11 days ago. She has 9 eggs in the nest. 2 nights ago she slept in the nest and stayed in most of the day. She got out a couple times. Yesterday she was in there most of the day; she hurried back to the nest when she saw me one time. She also attacked two hens when they tried to lay in the box too. She stayed all night last night. Today however, she's been off the nest about an hour and a half. I've never had a broody duck or chicken so I don't know how this works. My chickens are trying to lay with her eggs so I've been pulling the chicken eggs out when she hops out to get a drink. Any advice?

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
My Lucy started laying about 11 days ago. She has 9 eggs in the nest. 2 nights ago she slept in the nest and stayed in most of the day. She got out a couple times. Yesterday she was in there most of the day; she hurried back to the nest when she saw me one time. She also attacked two hens when they tried to lay in the box too. She stayed all night last night. Today however, she's been off the nest about an hour and a half. I've never had a broody duck or chicken so I don't know how this works. My chickens are trying to lay with her eggs so I've been pulling the chicken eggs out when she hops out to get a drink. Any advice?
Sounds to me like she is going broody, They start out by sleeping on the nest and coming off during the day, but when they get serious they will usually only come out once maybe 2X but my one scovy girl who is sitting on 4 goose eggs only goes out once a day, when i bring out the meal worms in the afternoon for treat time thats when she wants out. [I have her in a large dog crate for peace and quite] then she baths and eats and POOPs and goes right back in. So I'd say your girls getting into broody mode. when she decides she's ready then starts the count down 35-37 days.

Top Bottom