Broody not leaving nest

Golden_Girls

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
Hi all I'm new to chickens as of last year but learnt super fast. I started with 4 Columbian Rock last April and attained 2 light Sussex in the fall. Betty(light Sussex) went broody so I got her fertilized eggs(no rooster here) and she's been taking her job very seriously. A little too seriously. This is my late uncles favorite hen so I have been making her get up at least once every 2 days to eat and drink.
In the last 4 days she hasn't taken water or pooped but has eaten.
I set the eggs in on April 4th, have cancelled and they look great. She's in her own brooder area with everything she needs, including a dust bath away from the others.
Should I be concerned about the lack of poo?
Video of Betty doing broody things attached.
Thanks for reading.

I forgot to add that I have multiple coop cams that I watch from my bedroom to know she's not leaving the nest.

Hi all I'm new to chickens as of last year but learnt super fast. I started with 4 Columbian Rock last April and attained 2 light Sussex in the fall. Betty(light Sussex) went broody so I got her fertilized eggs(no rooster here) and she's been taking her job very seriously. A little too seriously. This is my late uncles favorite hen so I have been making her get up at least once every 2 days to eat and drink.
In the last 4 days she hasn't taken water or pooped but has eaten.
I set the eggs in on April 4th, have cancelled and they look great. She's in her own brooder area with everything she needs, including a dust bath away from the others.
Should I be concerned about the lack of poo?
Video of Betty doing broody things attached.
Thanks for reading.
My speckled sussex sat for 5 days without leaving. If I picked her up and took her off the nest, she would just pancake where I set her and then go back to the nest. On day 6 she started taking food and water breaks. As long as she has access to food & water & to stretch, I wouldn't worry about it.

hello @Golden_Girls , welcome to BYC :frow

In the set-up you describe, like 16 and me I would leave her be. That she's getting off to eat suggests she's fine. You cannot make her poop in any case :lol: I'd just make sure the water is fresh and clean, and I'd be in there quick to remove the poop when it does come - it will probably smell awful!

hello @Golden_Girls , welcome to BYC :frow

In the set-up you describe, like 16 and me I would leave her be. That she's getting off to eat suggests she's fine. You cannot make her poop in any case :lol: I'd just make sure the water is fresh and clean, and I'd be in there quick to remove the poop when it does come - it will probably smell awful!
Oh I've seen her broody 💩 already and boy was it BIG. I'm thinking she doesn't want to ""go" inside the brooder area and prefers out in the run but we had a freak April snow storm so I didn't want her to risk frostbite on her feet.
Thanks for the replies and making me feel so welcome.

good, that suggests her instincts are excellent. Much better to do it outside the brooder where the chicks, when they hatch, are less likely to walk into it :)
I did put shavings in her area so I could scoop it like a litter box😅
She's just being prissy.💅

Back
Top Bottom