Broody or Not, that is the question..?

So I'm trying everything I know to try to quieten him down a little eg he now has a anti crow collar that doesn't totally stop the crowing, but does reduce how loud it is, he is also kept in darkness until a little later than 05.30 am. But I have a feeling that too few hens may be contributing to his crowing so I'm intending to double his harem to 8 from the current 4. Any advice any of you guys can offer would be great.

Not sure if the number of hens has anyhthing to do with it. Keeping him in darkness for longer should help delay when he starts up in the morning, but roos are built to crow.

Hi Rose,
yeah and this noisey bugger has a hell of a set of lungs on him, even wearing a collar doesn't stop him. I'm going to try an additional collar above the first as they are only about 1 " wide and see if that restricts him a little more.

I did read somewhere that sometimes excessive crowing throughout the day can be a rooster trying to attract more hens, it went on to say that each rooster should have at least 8 hens in his flock. If this is correct then I need 4 more hens and see if that will shut him up 😉

I unfortunately now have a problem of my own, a neighbour came over last weekend and complained about my rooster crowing early in the morning 🙄. Funny but young lads tearing up and down the street on dirt bikes (scramblers), doesn't seem to disturb him as much as my rooster !

Is your rooster legal?

If so, then there's no reason to take action -- except maybe to pass out some fresh eggs to the neighbors. :)

Back
Top Bottom