Broody or not?

KelBelle

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
I have one hen the squawks like a terydactyl when we go near her in the nesting box. It seems that she stays in that box as long as there is an egg beneath her. After we take it from her she eventually leaves the box. I have another hen that always seems to be sitting on a number of eggs, including her own, and I believe she stays there as well until they are taken from her. Are these hens broody? The kids would love hatch out some chicks but I have no experience with that. One hen is a buff Orpington and the other is an Easter Egger.

Either of these hens could be prone to broodiness. The best way to determine broodiness is to put some eggs in a brooder box and see if the hen stays on them over night. I recommend using a box that you can secure the hen in, in case she changes her mind. This will also prevent other hens from chasing her off or making unauthorized deposits.

Hmmm.....brooder box? Do you mean bring out some sort of bucket for her to sit in instead of the nesting box?

Quote:
I use a medium sized wire dog kennel that I put cardboard around the sides to keep the litter in and to keep the chicks from escaping after hatch. Even a smaller dog travel kennel would work. I like my setup as it gives the hen enough room for food water and a place to poop as needed. Then when the fuzzy butts arrive, there is enough room for them to explore until they move to the brooder coop.

So I do this in the regular coop and give her her own food and water in the box? Will I have a problem if i choose one of the hens and not the other?

Quote:
It certainly can be done in the coop as long as you can keep the other girlz out. If you pick one and she doesn't set on the eggs, put the other on them. Nothing lost. I'd bet either hen would set if given the opportunity.

Quote:
Is there any particular reason?

Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others. I never had the chance to have an EE but buff orpingtons are great broodies and pretty good with chicks too.

Quote:
It certainly can be done in the coop as long as you can keep the other girlz out. If you pick one and she doesn't set on the eggs, put the other on them. Nothing lost. I'd bet either hen would set if given the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom