Broody Orpington fighting

dcpetportraits

Chirping
Dec 12, 2022
Hey everyone
I looked around and it may be possible that I may have missed a similar thread, my apologies in advance if I did.

I have a buff Orpington that has gone broody I've been taking her out of the nest box every day to make sure she drinks water poops and eats some. When she's out she'll Puff up, strut and if another hen is face to face she'll start a fight. I'm always there to pick her right up and end it .
Today I put her by the back feeder by herself...she ate and was dust bathing when one of my easter eggers chased her towards the flock once she was near the flock 4 or 5 hens all jumped on her beating her up. I quickly grabbed her and took her out of the run and away from the flock and put her back in the nest box about an hour later . I stayed near for another hr and they just left her alone.
All of these hens were raised together. They were hatched in April 2022
There are 16 hens. Their run is 30ft x 40ft and they get 2-3 hrs supervised (while I work Outside) free ranging time on 4 acres. I've not had a problem with fighting til now.
What am i doing wrong? Is it because she's broody? Any advice is welcome.
Thank you so much.

What your broody is doing is normal behavior, so no worries there. Typically, the pecking order does get some imbalances when a hen goes broody, especially if she's in another area, because they don't see her as often, so they need to be introduced back to each other. Depending on how serious the fight is, the broody can handle her own, but not against five other hens. Unfortunately, it's possible this becomes a reoccurring pattern. If it does, place her in a different area to raise her chicks and when she's done, you can introduce them into the flock as one

They are defensive and aggressive for a reason. They are trying to hatch and brood chicks. You didn't mention if she was on a clutch of eggs. If not then break her from being broody. If she is on a clutch of eggs then stop taking her off of them. She will eat and drink and poop once per day all on her own. She knows what she is attempting to do. My last broody was a real bitty. Drew blood from my hand more than once. She did a great job raising those chicks in the flock.

To break a hen from being broody put her in a cage without bedding for three days.

What your broody is doing is normal behavior, so no worries there. Typically, the pecking order does get some imbalances when a hen goes broody, especially if she's in another area, because they don't see her as often, so they need to be introduced back to each other. Depending on how serious the fight is, the broody can handle her own, but not against five other hens. Unfortunately, it's possible this becomes a reoccurring pattern. If it does, place her in a different area to raise her chicks and when she's done, you can introduce them into the flock as one
Thank you so much! She's under a year old and I don't have a rooster. I collect all the eggs and have removed the fake eggs as well.

They are defensive and aggressive for a reason. They are trying to hatch and brood chicks. You didn't mention if she was on a clutch of eggs. If not then break her from being broody. If she is on a clutch of eggs then stop taking her off of them. She will eat and drink and poop once per day all on her own. She knows what she is attempting to do. My last broody was a real bitty. Drew blood from my hand more than once. She did a great job raising those chicks in the flock.

To break a hen from being broody put her in a cage without bedding for three days.
Thank you so much . She's not on a clutch, I will put her in a dog crate with water and food in the run during the day and in the coop at night. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again 🙏🏼😊

An update: after 1 week she stopped being broody and it took about another 5 days for them not to pick on her anymore. Thanks again everyone for all your help I truly appreciate it . 🙏🏼 😊

Back
Top Bottom