Broody Poop-Why so awful? Have to ask...

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
ep.gif
,,,,very , very infornatative....this should be on a permenant post on byc for a refference ....
caf.gif
..., i learned alot...never in my wildest dreams would i have ever thought crap would be educational ....
sickbyc.gif

Oh my gosh! No chickens here until spring.... just reading up....Agh!
barnie.gif
Is this a sign to get the least broody hens when I order my chicks???? Wanted 2 Australorps..... maybe I'll rethink that! At least I will be prepared! Thanks for the laugh!

Well, I've learned quite a bit about broody poop, thanks for your responses.
I hope all of this helps to prepare me to be able to deal with it better.
I think I'll put the nest boxes on the side of the coop with a hinged roof over them.
That way I can open the roof to ventilate before scooping poop.
I really like my BA chick and think she will turn into a nice hen, hope she's worth it ;-)

Thanks all! Carrie Lynn

Last edited:
Help! I think one of my 3 week old Orpingtons has this broody poop stuff it a good amount and rusty red colored and smells awful. Is it a sickness when their that young or do they just need a little yogurt to balance things out. She's acting fine but I'm still worried. Anybody??

Help! I think one of my 3 week old Orpingtons has this broody poop stuff it a good amount and rusty red colored and smells awful. Is it a sickness when their that young or do they just need a little yogurt to balance things out. She's acting fine but I'm still worried. Anybody??

No...a 3 wk old cannot have broody poops. Those will only come from a sexually mature hen that has "gone broody" and has been that way for some days and sitting a nest. Broody means their hormones have caused them to want to incubate eggs into chicks by increasing their body temps and sloughing off feathers on a brood patch(area of skin on the lower abdomen). At that time they will have laid a clutch of eggs for the purpose and are now ready to sit on them for 21 days to incubate them into chicks.

You could be describing something known as cecal poop, which is food not fully digested but is fermented in the cecum...a chicken will have one of these about every 9 poops or so and it's normal and natural.

Here's a wonderful link that can show you about the different kinds and types of chicken poop: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Just checked that link and most of the pics are no longer showing up like they have always done, but you can contact that person and ask for them to be posted again, no doubt.

No...a 3 wk old cannot have broody poops.  Those will only come from a sexually mature hen that has "gone broody" and has been that way for some days and sitting a nest.  Broody means their hormones have caused them to want to incubate eggs into chicks by increasing their body temps and sloughing off feathers on a brood patch(area of skin on the lower abdomen).  At that time they will have laid a clutch of eggs for the purpose and are now ready to sit on them for 21 days to incubate them into chicks. 

You could be describing something known as cecal poop, which is food not fully digested but is fermented in the cecum...a chicken will have one of these about every 9 poops or so and it's normal and natural. 

Here's a wonderful link that can show you about the different kinds and types of chicken poop: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Just checked that link and most of the pics are no longer showing up like they have always done, but you can contact that person and ask for them to be posted again, no doubt. 

Thank you so much I was so worried. Found another link that listed what it looked like a cecal poop.

I have a RIR I am not sure if she is broody or not. I was told when I bought her that she was young. She was the only hen until today she attacked one of the new bigger hens and kept trying to fight her. So we separated her now that she is alone I see that she has large poop and she has not layed any eggs yet. We have had her since December maybe November no eggs. Now with her behavior today I am wondering if it is time for her to enter the freezer section of our house. But i don't want to kill a hen that can lay eggs later any suggestions. Hopefully by Monday we will have some eggs from the new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom